The homemade vegan bouillon powder recipe we’re sharing with you today is probably nothing new if you’ve been hanging around here for any length of time. Or maybe you’ve bought a jar from us at one of the Philly Vegan Pop Flea events! We’ll often refer to it as chicken(less) noodle soup powder because it originated with our favorite vegan chicken noodle soup recipe.
Whether you’re familiar or not, this simple herb & spice mix has the ability to completely level-up your cooking game, even if you barely know how to boil water, so we decided it was about damn time something this useful got its own post!
7 ingredients. 1 food processor. 10 minutes.
Let’s do this!
You can use this homemade vegan bouillon powder in any recipe that calls for vegetable or chicken broth. The taste is incredible: a dead-on flavor match for the chicken broth we all grew up loving but with a full and comforting texture, thanks to some magical ground nutritional yeast!
Here are some of our favorite ways to use this homemade vegan bouillon powder:
- Mix 1 Tbsp bouillon powder with 1 cup hot water to make a vegan chicken broth that can be used when cooking rice or other grains (like in our Slow-Cooker Chik’n + Rice), re-hydrating soy curls, making homemade seitan, and any other time you would need a good, flavorful broth!
- It is a critical ingredient in many of our soups, like our vegan chicken stew and vegan chicken noodle soup – a recipe that is on regular rotation in this house, especially during the colder months or the minute we start feeling sick!
- Casseroles! Like our chicken(less) tetrazzini in all its creamy comforting goodness. We also use it to make our vegan condensed cream of chik’n soup which is a key component to veganizing alll your favorite childhood casseroles.
- The BEST vegan gravy. Seriously, we make this stuff every year for Thanksgiving, and without fail, someone ends up drinking the last remnants straight from the gravy boat. 😁
- Two words: vegan. ramen.
Other Handy Spice Mixes You Can Make at Home:
So, how would you use this homemade vegan bouillon powder? We’d love to know! If you give it a go, be sure to rate it and leave a comment below. And tag us in your genius ideas on Instagram! We’re @theplantpowercouple with the “the”. It’s so much fun seeing what you cook up! 😁
Yield: 2.5 cups bouillon
10 minPrep Time:
10 minTotal Time:
5 based on 7 review(s)
- 2 cups nutritional yeast
- 1/4 cup sea salt
- 2 Tbsp onion powder
- 1 Tbsp turmeric
- 1 tsp celery salt
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 Tbsp Italian seasoning
- Throw all the ingredients in a small blender or food processor and pulse until ingredients are combined and powder-y.
- Store in an air-tight jar in your spice cabinet or pantry.
- When ready to use, mix 1 heaping Tbsp bouillon powder with 1 cup hot water. Use this to replace vegetable or chicken broth in all your favorite recipes!