These fun + romantic vegan picnic sandwiches made with fresh baguettes stuffed with a rich herbed cashew cheese filling, sliced strawberries, and freshly minced herbs are the perfect easy plant-based Valentine’s Day sandwich recipe! The cashew nut cheese is made with simple ingredients that create the best flavor. If you need to impress that special dairy free cheese lover in your life, THIS is the answer.
This post contains affiliate links. As Amazon Associates, we earn a small commission from qualifying purchases (at no cost to you). We are also affiliates of wine.com and may earn a commission if you choose to purchase through our links. Click here to read our full policy about affiliate links. Thank you for shopping our affiliate links, as it helps us keep the free vegan recipes coming your way!
We love these easy vegan cashew cheese sandwiches so much. They’re easy to make, incredibly fun, and just the perfect combination of flavors.
I’m a pretty picky eater and have never been a big fan of berries in savory dishes, but holy wow has this easy vegan sandwich recipe changed my mind. I can’t get enough!
Make them for your partner, your best friend, your mom, or just as a way to treat yourself to something simple yet decadent with a touch of fancy. Let’s get in the kitchen!
Cashew Cheese Sandwich Ingredients
For the cashew cheese:, you’ll need
- Cashews – Unroasted and unsalted
- Refined coconut oil – Make sure you get refined coconut oil and not “virgin” or “unrefined”. If your cashew cheese tastes like coconut, this is what went wrong.
- Rice vinegar – Feel free to sub white vinegar or even apple cider vinegar here if needed.
- Lemon juice – Fresh or bottled, either works.
- SPICES: Salt, pepper, onion powder and garlic powder
- Minced fresh rosemary and thyme – Use half the amount of dried herbs if needed. Feel free to mix up the herbs here based on what’s available to you.
For the sandwich, you’ll need:
- Baguettes – We love baguettes for this recipe, but feel free to use any type of fluffy roll you’d like. This recipe could also be great on toast as more of an open-faced sandwich situation.
- Fresh strawberries – thinly sliced
- Minced fresh rosemary and thyme – for sprinkling
How do you make a strawberry sandwich with cashew cheese?
The herbed cashew cheese does take some time to set, but the whole process of making these vegan cashew cheese and strawberry sandwiches is incredibly simple and easy to follow!
Step 1: Heat the cashew cheese mixture.
You’ll start by heating up the cheese mixture ingredients. This will soften everything up and melt the oil, so it blends up nicely.
Add the cashews and water to a medium saucepan. Cover + bring to a low boil. Then, turn the heat to low and cook uncovered for 10 min.
Remove from heat and stir in the rest of the cheese ingredients (except the herbs!) until the refined coconut oil melts.
Step 2: Blend the cashew cheese mixture.
Blend this mix on high until it’s creamy and shiny. Finally, you’ll add the herbs and pulse a few times until everything is combined.
Step 3: Let it set.
Next, you’re going to transfer this mix to a container or mold. We use a glass Pyrex container with a lid. Set this in the fridge overnight or at least 8 hours to thicken up. It will be a thick spreadable texture when it’s ready!
Step 4: Assemble the sandwiches.
Finally, it’s time to assemble! Slice a baguette in half + spread a thick layer of cheese on each side. Top that with a layer of sliced strawberries and a sprinkle of freshly minced herbs. Top the strawberry slice with the no-strawberry slice and dig in!
What do you eat with a cashew cheese sandwich?
Serve these sandwiches cold immediately and enjoy! You can also wrap these sandwiches to pack for a picnic, but I would store them wrapped in the fridge until you leave and wouldn’t leave them outside the fridge for more than 1 hour.
Serve these cashew cheese sandwiches alongside a big mixed greens salad with more strawberries and maybe a balsamic vinaigrette!
Cashew Cheese Sandwich + Wine Pairing
Rounding out the picnic theme of this recipe, these Cashew Cheese + Strawberry Sandwiches were MADE for a juicy glass of slightly chilled Beaujolais!
Beaujolais is a wine made from 100% Gamay grapes in the Beaujolais region of Burgundy, France. We love it because it’s light-bodied, high acidity and low tannin with BIG fruit flavors, like strawberry notes that are just perfect with the strawberries in this sandwich.
What I love about Beaujolais the most is it pairs well with ALL types of plant-based recipes, especially things you wouldn’t normally think would go well with red wine! And this herbed cashew cheese sandwich is a great example of that. Louis Jadot is our go-to for vegan-friendly Beaujolais (along with other classic French wines, like their Pinot Noir!).
When you try this herbed cashew cheese recipe, please tell us how it went! We love it when you rate the recipe and leave a comment below. It helps more people find us!
And don’t forget to tag us in your photos on Instagram! If you’re not already hanging out with us over there, we’re @theplantpowercouple with the “the”. We hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we do!
More Cashew Cheese Recipes:
- Vegan Sweet Potato Mac and Cheese
- Vegan White Cheddar and Whiskey Fondue
- Healthy Vegan Broccoli Cheddar Soup
For the cashew cheese:
- 1.5 cups unroasted cashews
- 1.5 cup water
- 2/3 cup refined coconut oil
- 2 Tbsp rice vinegar
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1 Tbsp minced fresh rosemary
- 1 Tbsp minced fresh thyme
For the sandwiches:
- Freshly sliced strawberries
- Minced fresh rosemary and thyme
- HEAT THE CASHEW CHEESE MIXTURE: Add the cashews and water to a medium saucepan. Cover + bring to a low boil. Then, turn the heat to low and cook uncovered for 10 min. Remove from heat and stir in the rest of the cheese ingredients (except the herbs!) until the refined coconut oil is melted.
- BLEND AND SET THE CASHEW CHEESE: Carefully transfer the mixture to a heat-safe blender or food processor and blend on high until creamy and shiny. Add the herbs and pulse a few times until everything is combined. Then, transfer this mix to a container or mold and set in the fridge overnight to thicken up.
- MAKE THE SANDWICH: Slice a baguette in half + spread a thick layer of cheese on each side. Top with a layer of sliced strawberries and a sprinkle of freshly minced herbs. Serve immediately and enjoy!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Serving Size:1 sandwich
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 427Total Fat: 31gSaturated Fat: 18gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 702mgCarbohydrates: 31gFiber: 2gSugar: 4gProtein: 8g
Nutrition information is automatically calculated and may not always be accurate.