Growing up going to Catholic school in Philadelphia, I’ve eaten my fair share of soft pretzels (not that I’m complaining).
Back in MY day, a soft pretzel would run you about 25 cents at morning recess. Needless to say, quarters were a hot commodity, and I probably consumed one almost every day of my childhood.
Fast-forward to now: I still LOVE soft pretzels, and recently, T has been asking me to create the perfect homemade recipe. These, my friends, are on point, and Terrence agrees.
My favorite part about this recipe is there are so many ways you can use these! Slather them with vegan butter; slice them in half and add a veggie burger or some melted vegan cheese, or cut them open and scoop out the dough to make a SOUP bowl! The possibilities are endless, and it’s a safe bet you’ll see more creations using these little beauties on future recipes from PPC!
I suggest eating these vegan soft pretzels almost the minute they come out of the oven, and I say almost because It’s probably best to let them cool a little bit before eating. Trust me on this; I speak from experience, friends. 😅
These vegan soft pretzel buns can also be frozen for later! I wrap them individually and store them in zip-lock bags. When you’re ready to eat them, just heat ’em up in the microwave, wrapped in a paper towel, or the oven, wrapped in foil. I highly suggest freezing these pretzels if you aren’t going to eat them all in one day. But, by all means, don’t let me stop you from trying!
Other fun recipes like these vegan soft pretzel buns:
If and when you make these vegan soft pretzel buns, let us know about it! Rate the recipe and leave a comment below or tag us in your photos on Instagram! We’re @theplantpowercouple with the “the”. We can’t wait to hear allll about it!
Yield: 8 soft pretzel buns
These homemade vegan soft pretzel buns are so delicious and a perfect twist to veggie burgers or other sandwiches. They also make great soup bowls!
1 hr, 30 Prep Time:
30 minCook Time:
2 hrTotal Time:
- 3 Tbsp vegan butter
- 2 c. hot water
- 1 Tbsp coconut sugar
- 2 1/4 tsp active dry yeast
- 6-8 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp salt
- 6-8 cups water
- 1/3 cup baking soda
- 2 Tbsp course salt
- Add the vegan butter, hot water, and coconut sugar to your food processor or mixing stand bowl*. Stir and let butter melt.
- After butter has melted, sprinkle the yeast onto this mixture and let sit for five minutes.
- Add 3 cups of flour and the salt. Use dough hook to combine ingredients.
- Scrape the sides of your mixing bowl or food processor and add 3 cups of flour. Mix until dough ball forms and continue for about 2-3 minutes after that.
- Check your dough. If it is super-sticky, you may want to add some more flour. Knead in 1/4 cup at a time until it's not completely sticking to your fingers when you touch it. Place dough ball in a lightly oiled bowl and cover to let rise for an hour.
- Punch the dough down (BAM!), and turn onto lightly floured surface to knead for 30 seconds. Divide into 8 pieces and roll these pieces into balls. Place on a parchment-lined baking sheet and cover to let sit 20 minutes. In the meantime, heat 6-8 cups of water in a large pot until just boiling.
- Stir in baking soda (slowly and carefully, lest your pot boil over) and keep at a very low boil.
- Gently drop each dough ball into boiling liquid. I was able to do three at a time.Cook for 20 seconds, flip, and cook another 20 seconds. Remove using a slatted spatula or spoon and place on baking sheet once again.
- Use a sharp knife to cut an X in the top of each roll. Sprinkle with course salt.Bake at 400F for 16-17 minutes.Let cool on a cooling rack and enjoy with vegan butter or a veggie burger!
You can make this without a mixer as well. Just use a large wooden spoon to mix the dough together; then get in there with your hands and knead. It will take a little longer than the mixer instructions, but totally doable!
6 thoughts on “Vegan Soft Pretzel Buns”