This healthy vegan broccoli cheddar soup is easy to make without any cream in your Vitamix blender. The recipe is dairy free, oil free, AND gluten free. It’s made with simple vegetarian ingredients like chickpeas, cashews (or sunflower seeds for nut free), cauliflower, carrots, and of course, broccoli! We serve this creamy plant based broccoli cheese soup recipe over a big steaming baked potato for total comfort food.
This post contains affiliate links. As Amazon Associates, we earn a small commission from qualifying purchases (at no cost to you). We are also affiliates of wine.com and may earn a commission if you choose to purchase through our links. Click here to read our full policy about affiliate links. Thank you for shopping our affiliate links, as it helps us keep the free vegan recipes coming your way!
Without a doubt, the kitchen appliance that gets used most often in our house is our Vitamix. So much so that we actually have two of them.
In the winter especially, I tend to gravitate towards warm, comforting, stick-to-your-ribs types of meals. But I also know how much it helps me power through those winter just-want-to-stay-in-bed-all-day blues when I place a priority on eating whole foods.
Since that means my beloved boxed vegan mac & cheese is not necessarily gonna cut it every single night, blender soups like this are a DREAM. This is because I can pack a ton of veggies into them that normally wouldn’t excite me all that much (I’m looking at you, cauliflower!), but by the end of it, everything is just creamy, delicious warmth and comfort.
Basically, a bowl full of hugs is what I’m after. And this healthy vegan broccoli cheese soup more than delivers.
How to Make Vegan Broccoli Cheese Soup in a Vitamix
Crazily enough, this soup really reminds me of that broccoli cheddar soup from Panera that I loved back in my vegetarian days. Only this one is about 10xs healthier which makes me feel pretty badass TBH.
The creamy base is a mixture of carrots, cauliflower, cashews, and chickpeas (totally unplanned but awesome alliteration there) all boiled up and blended with a super flavorful broth (thanks to our homemade bouillon powder) and some yellow mustard to add a punch of that cheddar-y flavor. *swoon*
Once the base is made, you’ll throw in some steamed broccoli, pulse the mixture a few times until the broccoli is all chopped, and pour into bowls!
What do you serve with vegan broccoli soup?
We highly suggest serving this soup either over a big baked potato or topped with a few air-fried croutons to settle in for the dinner of your life.
Trust us. We tested this scenario. A LOT. 😉
Other Creamy Vegan Blender Soup Recipes:
We so hope you enjoy this vegan broccoli cheese soup recipe and find it every bit as useful as we have. If and when you do try it, be sure to share it with us because WE LOVE THAT!
You can rate the recipe and leave a comment below or tag us in your deliciously awesome photos on Instagram. If you’re not already following along, we’re @theplantpowercouple with the “the”.
Happy cooking, friends. Enjoy!
- 5 cups water
- 1 large carrot, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 cup frozen cauliflower
- 1 15.5-oz. can of chickpeas (not drained)
- 1/2 cup unroasted cashews
- 1/4 cup vegan chicken-style bouillon powder
- 1 large head of broccoli (stems removed)
- 1 Tbsp yellow mustard
- 1 tsp sea salt
- Add the water, carrot, cauliflower, chickpeas (don't drain them; add the whole can), cashews, and bouillon powder to a large pot. Cover and bring to a boil. Grab a large colander and add the broccoli to it. When the pot is boiling, turn heat to medium high, place the colander with the broccoli over the boiling water and cover the colander with the pot lid, allowing the broccoli to steam and veggies to boil for 15 minutes.
- Remove the large pot from heat, set the colander with the broccoli aside, and pour the contents of the pot into your Vitamix or food processor. Add the mustard and salt and blend for 1-2 minutes until smooth and creamy. Add the steamed broccoli and pulse until the broccoli is evenly chopped.
- If the soup is too thick for you, you can whisk in some hot water before serving. Otherwise, pour the soup into 4 large or 6 small bowls and top with a few homemade croutons. Store leftovers in an air-tight container in your fridge for up to a week or the freezer for a month. Enjoy!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Serving Size:1 bowl
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 365Total Fat: 13gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 1072mgCarbohydrates: 48gFiber: 13gSugar: 9gProtein: 18g
Nutrition information is automatically calculated and may not always be accurate.