This creamy vegan potato soup recipe is easy to make right in your Vitamix or other high-powered blender! It’s the BEST dairy-free potato soup we’ve ever eaten – loaded with flavor, a thick creamy texture, and soul-warming from start to end. Load it with your favorite toppings like vegan bacon and cheese or sip it out of a mug on a cold winter day!
This post contains affiliate links. As Amazon Associates, we earn a small commission from qualifying purchases (at no cost to you). We are also affiliates of wine.com and may earn a commission if you choose to purchase through our links. Click here to read our full policy about affiliate links. Thank you for shopping our affiliate links, as it helps us keep the free vegan recipes coming your way!
I adore a good creamy vegan potato soup. T and I both do, actually, and we make it quite frequently. Which is why I was kinda surprised to realize we didn’t have a vegan potato soup recipe on the blog!
All of that changes today. This dairy-free potato soup is the 6th recipe in our blender soup series. But it’s so much more than just a simple potato soup. It’s loaded with extra healthy goodies like red lentils (for a punch of protein) and cashews (for a nice dose of healthy fats). You don’t even need to add plant-based milk!
We make this soup in our Vitamix blender and highly recommend using a high-powered blender like this to ensure the smoothest, creamiest consistency. Also, make sure the blender you’re using is rated for heat. Check out our full post on blender soups for more safety tips.
Why we love this Creamy Vegan Potato Soup recipe:
- It’s completely dairy-free and still has that creamy, dreamy texture that sticks to your ribs and warms your soul.
- It’s so easy to make – do a quick saute, boil up everything until soft, and blend in your Vitamix or other high-powered blender!
- Even though this soup is creamy and may not seem like much, it’s actually a full meal with a punch of protein thanks to our friends red lentils. It’s so filling!
- You can top this vegan potato soup with ALL your favorite toppings, which is just such a fun way to eat and customize your dinner! You could even set up a little toppings bar for the family!
Dairy-Free Potato Soup Ingredients
You’ll need these 10 ingredients (+water) to make this creamy vegan potato soup. Some of them are expected and some may surprise you! Remember, we have a recipe card with all the ingredient amounts at the bottom of this post.
- Olive oil – for sauteing.
- Potatoes – We like to use russet potatoes!
- Fresh onion + garlic
- Red lentils – to pack a protein punch and help build texture.
- Raw cashews – to create the dairy-free creamy base and add some healthy fats.
- Vegan chicken bouillon powder – We love to add this to our potato soup for major flavor!
- Miso paste – This adds a fermented cheesy flavor, like adding parmesan in your potato soup!
- Smoked salt – This really helps create even more dynamic flavor levels!
Vegan Potato Soup Substitution Options
If you don’t have or can’t use one of the ingredients listed above, here are our best substitution tips for vegan potato soup:
Potato options: We suggest russet potatoes and haven’t tried others, but I think yellow potatoes could work. Sweet potatoes might be nice too, as long as they are cooked until fork-tender. The cooking time may need to be adjusted, so keep an eye on that if you try this.
For the onion and garlic: Fresh garlic is best, but can be replaced with dehydrated minced if needed! I would stick with a yellow or white onion and would definitely avoid a red onion.
To replace the red lentils: Drained canned chickpeas or white beans could work here, but do not use the dried version of these because the cooking time is vastly different.
If you’re using bouillon paste: We use our homemade bouillon powder, but if you’d like to use store-bought bouillon paste, use 1.5 Tbsp.
For the miso paste: Feel free to skip this ingredient if you don’t have it.
For the smoked salt: A specialty item for certain, but I just love the extra smoky element (think BACON flavor) that smoked salt adds. Feel free to sub regular salt here. You can also achieve this smoky flavor with 1 tsp of smoked paprika or liquid smoke.
How to Make Vegan Potato Soup in a Blender
Make this awesome dairy-free potato soup in 3 simple steps!
Step 1: Saute
First, you will heat the oil in a large pot on medium heat and then adding the onion and garlic. Then, cook until the onion and garlic are slightly browned, about 3-5 minutes.
Step 2: Simmer
Next, you’ll add the rest of the ingredients to the pot and bring it to a boil. Turn the heat to low and let this simmer until the potatoes are nice and tender. It’s important you leave the cover ON the pot while it simmers here!
How to Serve Dairy-Free Potato Soup
This vegan potato soup recipe makes about 4-5 servings. Serve it hot in a big bowl or soup mug!
Vegan Potato Soup Toppings: Top this vegan potato soup with any or ALL the following – vegan bacon (or vegan bacon salt), shredded vegan cheese, scallions or chives, vegan sour cream, chopped seitan ham, etc.
Potato Soup Sides: This soup is a meal in and of itself, but it’s also great served with a light side salad or put carbs on carbs and serve it with a thick slice of crusty bread!
Vegan Potato Soup + Wine Pairing
Viognier or Chardonnay – A full-bodied white wine will amplify the creaminess of the soup which makes the whole experience super decadent. We love this vegan-friendly Yalumba Viognier.
Beaujolais – If topped with vegan bacon, a light-bodied red wine like this Beaujolais Nouveau (made with Gamay grapes) could work super well without overpowering the soup like other reds might.
How to Store Leftover Potato Soup
In the fridge: Let the soup cool completely before placing it in the fridge. Then, store it in an air-tight container for up to 5-7 days.
In the freezer: Again, let the soup cool completely. Then, freeze it in an air-tight container or freezer-safe bag, leaving at least an inch or two of space between the top of the soup and the lid of the container for expansion. Stored like this, the soup should last at least a month. Move the soup to the counter or fridge to fully defrost before reheating.
How to reheat: Heat in the microwave or on the stove over medium low heat, stirring and scraping the bottom often, until warmed through.
If you make this creamy vegan potato soup, we’d love to know what you thought!
Rate the recipe and leave a comment below or tag us in your cozy soup creations on Instagram. If you’re not already hanging out with us over there, we’re @theplantpowercouple with the “the”.
We hope you can find a day to get cozy with this soup soon! And we hope you enjoy every last drop just as much as we have in creating it.
Yield: 5 bowls of soup
This creamy vegan potato soup recipe is easy to make right in your Vitamix or other high-powered blender! It’s the BEST dairy-free potato soup we’ve ever eaten - loaded with flavor, a thick creamy texture, and soul-warming from start to end. Load it with your favorite toppings like vegan bacon and cheese or sip it out of a mug on a cold winter day!
15 minPrep Time:
20 minCook Time:
35 minTotal Time:
- 1 Tbsp olive oil (see notes for oil-free)
- 1/2 cup chopped onion (about 1 small)
- 4-5 large cloves garlic, minced
- 5 cups water
- 1 1/2 lbs russet potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1/3 cup dry red lentils
- 1/3 cup unroasted cashews
- 3 Tbsp vegan chicken-style bouillon powder
- 1 Tbsp white miso paste (optional)
- 1 tsp smoked salt or sea salt
- SAUTE: Heat the oil in a large pot on medium heat. When hot, add the onion and garlic and saute for 3-5 minutes until lightly browned.
- SIMMER: Then, add the rest of the ingredients to the pot. Cover and bring to a boil. Once boiling, turn the heat to medium low and cook (covered) for 15 minutes until the potatoes are fork-tender.
- BLEND: Remove the large pot from heat and carefully transfer the contents of the pot into your Vitamix. Let it sit without the cover for a minute or two to let some steam escape. Pulse the mixture a few times to break up some of the bigger chunks. Then, slowly increase the speed to high and blend for 1-2 minutes until the soup is smooth and creamy!
- SERVE: Pour the soup into bowls and top with a few croutons, scallions, vegan bacon, and dairy-free sour cream or cheese. Store leftovers in an air-tight container in your fridge for up to a week or the freezer for a month. Enjoy!
TO MAKE IT OIL-FREE: Simply skip the olive oil and saute the onion and garlic in water!