Remember when I said it’s a safe bet we’d be back with more uses for those soft pretzel buns?
Well, here we are!
We are completely obsessed with the potato-carrot cheese sauce making the rounds recently. So much so, that I’ll take any excuse I can get to eat a big bowl of it with a spoon. I mean, who wouldn’t?! And that’s where this vegan beer cheese soup recipe comes in. 😍
The idea for this vegan beer cheese soup came from the our amazing friend Kat! She’s a foodie genius and a kickass vegan warrior woman. If you’re not already following her on IG, go do that! 🙌🏻 She is @katmeowvegan.
By the way, I am utterly convinced these vegan soft pretzel buns were MADE to hold the cheesy glory of this vegan beer cheese soup. They’re soul mates, damn. delicious. soul mates. If they got married and invited me to their wedding, I would cry at the sheer beauty of two foods so meant-to-be.
This is the part where – when Terrence reads this – he’ll look at me with a furrowed brow and go, “This is getting weird,” so I’ll just redirect myself now…
Other Cheesy Vegan Recipes
- The BEST Vegan Feta Cheese
- Bac’n Mac & Beer Cheese
- Lemon Pepper Marinated Vegan Bocconcini
- Gnocchi Mac & Cheese
My advice to you today is to make this soup. You won’t regret it. And when you DO make this soup (because I know you can’t live without it), be sure to rate it and leave a comment below. Or tag us in your photos on Instagram, so we can marvel at your glorious cheesy vegan soup creations. We’re @theplantpowercouple with the “the”. Enjoy! 🙂
Yield: 4 bowls of soup
This vegan beer cheese soup is so ooey gooey and delicoius - a total comfort food! Plus, it's filled with hidden veggies and goes perfectly with these soft pretzel bowls.
15 minPrep Time:
20 minCook Time:
35 minTotal Time:
- 3 medium potatoes (around 550 grams), peeled and diced
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 small onion, peeled and diced
- 1 cup water or veg broth
- 2 Tbsp yellow mustard
- 2 Tbsp German mustard (or any spicy mustard)
- 1/3 cup sunflower oil (olive oil works too!)
- 1 Tbsp veggie bouillon powder
- 4 large cloves garlic
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- 1.5 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 8 oz. beer (I would stick with a lighter beer unless you know you really like a heavy beer taste!)
- 4 soft pretzel buns
- First, add 6-8 cups of water to a large pot and bring to a boil. Add the potatoes, carrots, and onions. Keep at a low boil - covered - for about 10 minutes (or until soft).
- While the vegetables are boiling, add 1 cup water, mustards, oil, bullion powder, garlic, nutritional yeast, salt, and pepper to your food processor.When veggies are finished boiling, strain them and add them your food processor. Blend until smooth and then blend a little longer to allow the oil to emulsify.
- Then, add the contents of the food processor to the pot once more and pour in the 8 Oz of beer.
- Cover and bring to a boil and then, let it simmer for 7-10 minutes, uncovered. If the soup becomes too thick for your taste, feel free to add a little more of the reserved water until it reaches your desired consistency. Taste and adjust seasonings. You may want to add more salt.
- Now, get out your soft pretzel bun and use a sharp knife to cut a triangle into the top, careful not to go all the way through the soft pretzel bun. Scoop the bread out with a spoon to create space for the soup.
- Pour delicious cheesy soupy goodness into soft pretzel bowl, sprinkle with paprika (optional), and enjoy!