Vegan Tetrazzini is easy to make, and the rich cozy flavor will blow your mind! This creamy dairy free noodle casserole with soy curls and mushrooms is just as comforting as a traditional chicken or turkey tetrazzini recipe! Our vegetarian version is also freezer-friendly and makes a perfect family-friendly plant-based dinner.
This post contains affiliate links. As Amazon Associates, we earn a small commission from qualifying purchases (at no cost to you). We are also affiliates of wine.com and may earn a commission if you choose to purchase through our links. Click here to read our full policy about affiliate links. Thank you for shopping our affiliate links, as it helps us keep the free vegan recipes coming your way!
Go get your sweatpants, queue up the Netflix, and pour yourself a glass of wine, my friend. We’re making vegan tetrazzini!
Have you ever had tetrazzini? I hear it was a staple for a lot of people growing up, but I’ve only recently learned of its existence! And OMG, the moment I did, I knew this was a dish I HAD to veganize.
For those of you who – like myself – have never heard of tetrazzini before, let me fill you in:
It’s kinda like a creamy, dreamy chicken noodle soup casserole with perfectly meaty mushrooms, topped with parmesan and browned to perfection.
You understand my obsession now, yes? Hello, comfort food of my dreams.
How to Veganize Tetrazzini
Once I knew I had to have it, I started brainstorming the many, many ways I could veganize such a seemingly not-vegan-friendly recipe…one of my favorite pastimes and something I probably spend about 98% of my day doing, btw.
After much testing and sampling and daydreaming, here’s what I came up with:
For the creamy tetrazzini sauce: The traditional sauce is usually a roux made with butter & flour, heavy cream, and chicken broth. The roux was easy enough – vegan butter.
For the heavy cream, I went with a blend of silken tofu and cashews. You could totally use all of one or the other, but I really dig this combo – not too heavy, not too light. Goldilocks would approve. For the chicken broth, I used our homemade veggie bouillon which rocked, as always.
For the parmesan: There are a lot of options here. If you want to go the store-bought route, I highly suggest the Go Veggie vegan parmesan or Violife’s grate-able parmesan.
You can easily make a homemade parmesan or cheese seasoning like our homemade vegan cheese seasoning which is quite sublime! A plain ‘ol sprinkle of nooch would work too. Like I said, lots of options!
And just like that, BOOM. Vegan tetrazzini.
How to Make Dairy Free Mushroom Tetrazzini
Step 1: Prep your ingredients.
First, preheat your oven to 350F and prep your ingredients. Rehydrate the soy curls in some veggie broth (I use more vegan bouillon for this), cook the noodles, sauté the mushrooms in some olive oil + a pinch of salt.
Step 2: Make the vegan tetrazzini sauce.
Melt the vegan butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add the flour and whisk until fully incorporated. It will look like a really thick glob, but fret not. Slowly add the blender mixture, whisking as you pour until there are no clumps.
From here, taste and adjust the seasonings to your preference and cook 4-5 more minutes on low heat to thicken it a bit.
Step 3: Assemble and bake!
Finally, it’s time to assemble and bake! Toss about a cup of sauce with the noodles and grease a large 9×13 casserole. In it, layer the saucy noodles, mushrooms, half the sauce, soy curls, remaining sauce, and parmesan.
Bake this beautiful masterpiece for 30 minutes and broil for 3-5 to get that gorgeous browned top. Serve hot and ENJOY!
What wine pairs well with vegan tetrazzini?
If you are so inclined, we love serving this vegan tetrazzini with either a crisp white wine like this Ziobaffa Pinot Grigio or a somewhat creamy white wine like this Santa Julia Organic Chardonnay from Argentina. Either of these wines can also be used IN the sauce as well as in your glass.
Other Soy Curl Recipes
- Vegan Pot Pie Casserole
- Vegan Chicken(less) Noodle Soup
- Slow-Cooker Vegan Chik’n + Rice
- Bloody Mary Flavored Vegan Jerky
If you make this vegan tetrazzini, we really wanna know, so we can jump up and down in celebration of your kickass-ery.
You can rate the recipe and leave a comment below or tag us in your beautiful photos on Instagram. If you’re not already following along, we’re @theplantpowercouple with the “the”.
And if you want to be sure you never miss a Plant Power Couple recipe, don’t forget to sign up for our email list!
Okay, now back to enjoying vegan tetrazzini leftovers… 🙂 I’m so excited for you to try this!
For the sauce:
- 1/2 cup raw cashews
- 8 oz silken tofu
- 1.5 Tbsp vegan chicken bouillon powder
- 1.5 cups hot water
- 1/4 cup vegan butter
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 1.5 tsp salt
For the dish:
- PREP THE INGREDIENTS: Preheat your oven to 350F and prep your ingredients: Rehydrate the soy curls in some veggie broth (I use more vegan bouillon for this), cook the noodles, sauté the mushrooms in some olive oil + a pinch of salt.
- MAKE THE SAUCE: Next, make the sauce: Add the hot water, silken tofu, cashews, white wine, vegan bouillon, and salt to a heat-safe high-powered blender and blend on high until smooth. Set this aside. Melt the vegan butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add the flour and whisk until fully incorporated. It will look like a really thick glob, but fret not. Slowly add the blender mixture, whisking as you pour until there are no clumps. Taste and adjust the seasonings to your preference and cook 4-5 more minutes on low heat to thicken it a bit.
- ASSEMBLE + BAKE: Finally, it's time to assemble and bake! Toss about a cup of sauce with the noodles and grease a large 9x13 casserole. In it, layer the saucy noodles, mushrooms, half the sauce, soy curls, remaining sauce, and parmesan. Bake this beautiful masterpiece for 30 minutes and broil for 3-5 to get that gorgeous browned top. Serve hot and ENJOY!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Serving Size:1 serving
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 293Total Fat: 15gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 1030mgCarbohydrates: 30gFiber: 2gSugar: 4gProtein: 10g
Nutrition information is automatically calculated and may not always be accurate.