This super easy slow cooker vegan chicken and rice is classic comfort food made meatless with soy curls! It’s one of our absolute favorite healthy vegetarian crockpot recipes with rice, perfect for busy workweek meals or a meal prep session. This hearty plant-based and gluten-free dinner recipe is also kid friendly and easily made oil-free.
This post contains affiliate links. As Amazon Associates, we earn a small commission from qualifying purchases (at no cost to you). Click here to read our full policy about affiliate links. Thank you for shopping our affiliate links, as it helps us keep the free vegan recipes coming your way!
Cozy chicken(less) comfort dishes have totally been our jam this winter. If you’ve spent any time around these parts recently, this is a fact of which I’m sure you’re already aware! From our Creamy Vegan Chicken(less) Stew to our Vegan Pot Pie Casserole, there is no taste that quite warms our frost-bitten hearts more than those thyme, turmeric, and onion infused classics.
And given these are some of the most popular recipes on our site, it seems like you agree! These dishes are part of a collective nostalgia many of us experience. These flavors are part of our childhood, and it’s so much fun to bring them back into our lives (and yours!) in a modern and totally vegan way.
Veganized Chicken and Rice
This slow-cooker vegan chicken and rice recipe is actually something I’ve been making for a few months now. Since we almost always have some frozen veggies, soy curls, bouillon, and dry rice around the house, it quickly became my go-to “we have no food in the house ” lunch.
It was so simple I didn’t really think anything of it, until I shared some of my leftovers with T one night. He RAVED about the stuff, and sure enough, I get a text the next day requesting vegan chicken and rice for dinner.
As you know, T and I are on opposite ends of the taste spectrum as far as food goes. I’m more of the creamy, cheesy, vegan junk food type. Whereas, T is after fresh, hearty, nutrition-packed meals. That’s why it’s super exciting to find a recipe over which we both go crazy. This is food that brings people TOGETHER, friends. 🙂
Ingredients in Vegan Chicken and Rice
The ingredients for this vegetarian slow cooker recipe could not be simpler. You’ll need just 5 plant-based kitchen staples plus water:
- Long-grain brown rice – Make sure you use long-grain brown rice and not instant / quick-cook rice. This recipe is only tested on the former.
- Vegan chicken bouillon powder – We used our homemade bouillon powder. Alternatively, you can use a store-bought version. Bouillon paste can be used, but I would cut the amount in half. Or, use 2-3 bouillon cubes.
- Vegan butter – Alternatively, you can use olive oil or unsweetened canned coconut milk if you avoid oil.
- Frozen peas – You can easily sub canned green peas here.
- Soy curls – You can sub TVP chunks or strips for the soy curls or just use any vegan chik’n you prefer. However, if you’re using a chik’n that does not need to be rehydrated, you may want to reduce the water by at least 1/2 – 1 cup and add the chicken either to each plate or closer to the end. If you’re making this recipe gluten-free, be sure to use gluten-free chik’n here.
How to Make Easy Vegetarian Chicken and Rice in a Crockpot
This is the first *true* slow-cooker meal we’ve posted to the blog and therefore a whole new level of easy!
Simply dump 6 ingredients into your slow-cooker (we use this one), turn it on, and in just under 3 hours, your house will be filled with the most comforting, familiar, and tantalizing smells you can imagine.
I still laugh how this scent literally calls to T + me. Any time I’m cooking this slow-cooker vegan chicken and rice, I don’t even need to announce when dinner is ready. The smell just pulls us in for a nice warm hug, and before we know it, we’re both gathered around the slow-cooker sneaking the first bites as we clamor around for bowls and actual utensils. It’s a beautiful thing.
This would be a great meal prep recipe or weeknight dinner – especially if you have a family to feed! The recipe makes about 6 servings that hold up well when stored in the fridge for up to a week. It’s kid-friendly too!
No matter how or why you make this slow-cooker vegan chicken and rice, we’d totally love to hear how it goes! You can rate the recipe and leave a comment below or tag us in your delicious photos on Instagram. If you’re not already following along, we’re @theplantpowercouple with the “the”.
We hope you find this recipe every bit as comforting and delicious as we do. Cheers!
More Vegan Chicken Recipes:
- Creamy Vegan Chicken(less) Stew
- Easy Vegan Chik’n + Rice Casserole
- Vegan Pot Pie Casserole
- Restaurant-Style Vegan Chicken(less) Parm
- The BEST Vegan Chicken(less) Noodle Soup
- Vegan Chicken(less) Tetrazzini
Slow Cooker Vegan Chicken and Rice with Soy Curls
This super easy slow cooker vegan chicken and rice is classic comfort food made meatless with soy curls! It's one of our absolute favorite healthy vegetarian crockpot recipes with rice, perfect for busy work week meals or a meal prep session. This hearty plant-based and gluten-free dinner recipe is also kid friendly and easily made oil-free.
- Add the water, brown rice, bouillon powder, and vegan butter to your slow cooker. Stir, cover, and turn on high. Let it cook (without removing the cover) for 2 hours.
- When time's up, add your dry soy curls and peas. Stir and cover once more. Let it cook for another 30 minutes on high.
- We like to top each bowl with some extra peas and some freshly ground black pepper. Enjoy!
- OIL-FREE: Sub full-fat unsweetened coconut milk for the vegan butter / olive oil.
- *I like to measure my rice into a fine mesh strainer and rinse in cool water before adding it to the slow cooker. This is supposed to help remove some of the starchiness, and I do see a big difference in the texture of the rice when we do this!
- **You can use any vegan chik'n you prefer, but if you're using something that does not need to be rehydrated, you may want to reduce the water by at least 1/2 - 1 cup. If you're making this recipe gluten-free, be sure to use gluten-free chik'n here.
- Cooking times can vary depending on what kind of slow cooker you have.