Get this vegan chicken stew recipe on your weekly meal plan STAT. It makes the perfect cozy winter dinner and will immediately transport you back to childhood. This creamy vegetable stew with meaty soy curls is easy to make using common ingredients, methods, and hidden vegetables too! This vegan stew recipe is also freezer-friendly and the perfect plant-based meal prep recipe. It’s also gluten-free, dairy-free, and easily made oil-free.
This post contains affiliate links. As Amazon Associates, we earn a small commission from qualifying purchases (at no cost to you). Click here to read our full policy about affiliate links. Thank you for shopping our affiliate links, as it helps us keep the free vegan recipes coming your way!
I have something for you, and I think you’re gonna love it.
Behold, my newest recipe obsession: Vegan Chicken Stew. OMG.
I can’t stop staring at it, or eating it, or stirring it around in the pot as I reheat leftovers and gaze longingly at all that warm and comforting deliciousness, stealing quick tastes every chance I get.
Creamy Vegan Stew Ingredients
Oh, and did I mention the BEST part?! That creamy sauce is made from – drumroll, please – CAULIFLOWER!
Yes! I know it is really hard to believe, but it is 100% true. Cauliflower.
So basically you get big bowl of warmth and comfort, AND you get a massive dose of veggies? You all know that has my name written allllllll over it.
This vegan chicken stew is also another kickass way to use our homemade vegan bouillon powder.
The flavor the bouillon adds to this dish is so perfect I could scream with joy! And I have, let’s be real. 😋
If you don’t have soy curls, fret not though! We have also had success using homemade chicken-style seitan, as well as many store-bought vegan chicken like Gardein + Tofurkey.
The main thing you want to remember with store-bought vegan chicken is to use something without breading. Check the freezer aisle at your local grocery store for ideas!
Honestly, this vegan chicken stew would even be great without any vegan chicken at all, whatever your preference! I can’t believe I of all people just said that, but it is 100% true. 🙂
How to Serve Vegan Chicken Stew
This stew is wonderful served with a simple roll and vegan butter.
But, if you really want to “fancy” things up a bit, go ahead and make yourself some puff pastry triangles. (See pictures for context.)
These are T’s FAVORITE. They make take a tad longer to throw in the oven, but they are just about as simple as getting a roll and buttering it up.
As for leftovers, they’ll keep for up to a week in the fridge or a month in the freezer. This is one of our go-to freezer recipes, actually!
We hope you’ll try this cozy, delicious vegan chicken stew and we know you will fall in love with it just like we have!
If and when you do give it a go, we would love for you to rate it and leave a comment below or tag us in your tasty photos on Instagram. If you’re not already following along, we’re @theplantpowercouple with the “the”.
And if you want to be sure you never miss a Plant Power Couple recipe, don’t forget to sign up for our email list!
Other Cozy Vegan Dinners You’d Love:
- 1 cup unroasted unsalted cashews (soaked in hot water for 20 minutes)
- 1 Tbsp olive oil (see notes for oil-free)
- 1 small yellow or white onion, roughly chopped
- 4-5 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1 head cauliflower, roughly chopped / stem removed
- 5-6 cups water
- 2 cups soy curls (measure dehydrated + break into small pieces)*
- 2 large carrots, small diced
- 1 large potato, peeled and small diced
- 1 1/2 cups frozen corn
- 1 cup frozen green peas
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/4 cup vegan chicken-style bouillon powder
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- Add the olive oil to a large pot and turn heat to medium. When hot, add the onion, garlic, and a large pinch of salt and saute for about 5 minutes or until fragrant.
- Pour in 2 cups of the water along with the cauliflower. Cover and cook for 15-20 minutes or until the cauliflower is fork-tender.
- Whilst the cauliflower cooks, make your cashew cream: Drain your soaked cashews and add them to a blender with 3/4 cup water. Blend until smooth and creamy. Then, set aside until you're ready to use it.
- When the cauliflower is tender, use an immersion blender to blend until smooth. Then, add the remainder of your ingredients (including the cashew cream and remaining 3 cups of water). Stir to combine and cover/cook for another 15-20 minutes or until the potatoes are fork-tender.
- Taste and adjust seasonings as desired. If your stew is too thin, allow to cook a little longer uncovered. If it's too thick for your taste, add the optional sixth cup of water. Serve with puff pastry or a big slice of rustic bread. Store leftovers in the fridge for up to 5 days or the freezer for up to 6 weeks. Enjoy!
TO MAKE IT OIL-FREE: Saute the onions and garlic in some water rather than olive oil.
*Feel free to use whatever vegan chicken you like, but if you’re not using something that comes dehydrated, you will want to cut back on the water (use 4 cups instead of the 5-6 recommended cups).
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Yield:5 bowls of stew
Serving Size:1 bowl of stew
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 259Total Fat: 6gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 7mgSodium: 993mgCarbohydrates: 43gFiber: 11gSugar: 8gProtein: 15g