This crazy-easy vegan chicken and rice casserole is going to rock your busy winter weeknights. It’s rice and veggies and gravy all cooked up and topped with tender meaty soy curls (or whatever vegan chik’n you dig!). Just dump it and bake it and enjoy the hell out of it all season long.
Let’s do this!
When I first discovered our vegan condensed cream of chicken soup recipe, I immediately knew I wanted to use it in this vegan chicken and rice casserole. I’m not certain why that was my first thought because I’m pretty sure I’ve never eaten a chicken and rice casserole (vegan or otherwise) in my entire life.
But the minute the idea entered my mind, I just knew I had to create this dish of pure flavor and comfort. This certainty was cemented when I shared my idea with T who basically jumped for joy before I finished my sentence. I should have known. A big dish of rice and vegetables cooked in a thick, luscious, flavorful gravy is basically all of his favorite foods combined.
And thus, this vegan chicken and rice casserole was born! It took a few tries to get it exactly how we envisioned, but the time and taste tests were all worth it. I am so very excited to share the final recipe with you today!
Why You’ll Love This Vegan Chicken and Rice Casserole
- It is CRAZY easy to make. Even if you don’t already have your vegan condensed cream of chicken soup made, this meal takes very little effort to put together. If you can dump a bunch of ingredients in a casserole dish and use an oven, you’re good to go.
- It’s really easy to customize based on what’s in your pantry / fridge. Swap out the frozen broccoli for whatever veg you have on hand or the soy curls for whatever vegan chik’n you dig. Experiment with the grains you use, and have fun with it! This recipe can be a great framework for those snowy days ahead when you’re digging into the back of your pantry for something to throw together for dinner.
- It makes a killer freezer meal. Make a double batch and freeze one for later, or freeze it in single servings for a great make-ahead lunch. It should stay fresh for at least a month! When you reheat it, just be sure to add a splash of hot water, and it will be just as good as the first time you pulled it outta the oven.
We hope you love this vegan chicken and rice casserole!
I hope you find this recipe as cozy and comforting as we have. Not to mention, useful! Testing this recipe was such a joy. We’ve eaten it at least 8 times in the past 2 weeks and still can’t get enough.
When you make this vegan chicken and rice casserole, we would love to hear what you think! You can rate the recipe and leave a comment below or tag us in your screen-lick-inducing photos on Instagram. If you’re not following along already, we’re @theplantpowercouple with the “the”.
‘Til next time, friends. Happy cooking!
Yield: 1 11x8 casserole dish
This crazy-easy vegan chicken and rice casserole is going to rock your busy winter weeknights. It's rice and veggies and gravy all cooked up and topped with tender meaty soy curls (or whatever vegan chik'n you dig!). Just dump it and bake it and enjoy the hell out of it all season long.
10 minPrep Time:
50 minCook Time:
1 hrTotal Time:
5 based on 1 review(s)
- 1 heaping cup soy curls (measured dry and rehydrated*)
- 2 8-oz jars vegan condensed cream of chicken soup (2 cups)
- 3 cups warm water
- 1.5 cups instant brown rice
- 4 cups frozen chopped broccoli
- 3 Tbsp Cheesy Garlic Butter Blend (or vegan parmesan)
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- Preheat your oven to 375F and grab an 11x8 casserole dish. If you're using soy curls, rehydrate them now.*
- Add all the ingredients (excluding the soy curls and 1 Tbsp of the Cheesy Garlic Butter Blend) to the casserole dish and whisk until there are no clumps and everything is evenly mixed together. When the soy curls are plump and meaty, spread them out evenly atop the casserole mixture.
- Cover the casserole dish and place in the preheated oven. Let it cook - covered - for 50 minutes.
- Carefully remove the casserole dish from the oven and let it sit at least 10 minutes before you remove the cover, sprinkle the remaining Tbsp of Cheesy Garlic Butter Blend and dig in! We love to serve this casserole with a nice big vegan Caesar salad and a glass of white wine. Enjoy!
- Tip: If you're making this casserole for a holiday or any other time where you might care about it looking extra aesthetically pleasing, you can finely chop some extra broccoli, flash steam it, and "sprinkle" it over the finished casserole (like we did in these photos!). Voila, now it looks as every bit as exciting as it tastes!
*To rehydrate soy curls: What I like to do is add the dry soy curls to a large bowl and pour 1 cup hot water over them. Then, I mix in 2 Tbsp veggie bouillon powder and cover / let sit for about 5 minutes. Then, just drain them and continue with the recipe!
Substitutions: Feel free to substitute any veggies you have for the frozen broccoli, or your favorite vegan chik'n for the soy curls. White beans or chickpeas could also work, or just skip it all together! You can play around with the grains you use, but keep in mind different grains may need more or less water than the instant brown rice we used for this recipe.
- Calories 670
- Total Fat: 10 g 15.38%
- Saturated Fat: 6 g 30%
- Cholesterol: 5 mg 1.67%
- Sodium: 3057 mg 127.38%
- Potassium: 53 mg 1.51%
- Total Carbohydrate: 119 g %
- Sugar: 8 g
- Protein: 19 g
- Vitamin A: 59.78%
- Calcium: 569 mg 56.9%
- Iron: 4 mg 22.22%