This easy vegan caesar salad recipe is delicious, nut-free, and meal prep friendly! Silken tofu creates a creamy but light base for the dressing and 9 simple ingredients add the unmistakable caesar flavor. Serve it as part of a big holiday feast or bulk it up with all the toppings for a healthy comforting main dish!
Ahhh, salad. Often, when people hear you’re vegan, it’s the first food they think you must love. Because what the hell else would a vegan eat, right?!
Wrong. So, so wrong.
All you need to do is take a look at the recipes on this site to realize vegan cuisine goes far beyond the realm of a boring ol’ salad. And no one is more excited about that than I am.
However, I’ve always felt differently about Caesar salad. Don’t we all?
I feel like it’s the salad for salad-haters: no weird fancy lettuces, a thick flavorful dressing, and that tangy sprinkle of parmesan. It’s something familiar and comforting, but unfortunately, it’s traditionally very un-vegan…or even vegetarian for that matter.
We’re lucky to live in a day and age where vegan versions of this classic dish are abound all over the internet.
The first vegan caesar salad I made and the one by which this dressing was inspired is this one by Oh She Glows. It has been a staple on all our holiday tables and family dinners!
I’ve made a lot of tweaks to this recipe over the years – some turned out good, some not so good. But I’m so proud to share this recipe with you today. It’s truly my favorite vegan dressing we have ever made, and I just cannot get enough!
Vegan Caesar Dressing Ingredients
First and foremost, I really dig using silken tofu over cashews to create the creamy, dreamy base for this caesar dressing. This means there are no cashews to soak! It also means you get a power punch of protein without an overload of fat. It’s light + healthy but also comforting and delicious.
Another key ingredient in this vegan Caesar dressing is capers. These are used as a seamless replacement for the traditional anchovies because fish are friends, and – even as an omnivore – I found it pretty gross that there were fish in my salad dressing. Surely, I cannot be alone in this!
Next, comes some olive oil for a little fat + flavor, lemon juice + miso paste (or vinegar!) for that tangy zip, fresh garlic because garlic, and a few staples you probably already have in your pantry: salt, pepper, + garlic powder.
The best part? You just blend all these ingredients in your blender or food processor (we use this one) on high for a minute, and that’s IT. Dressing is made, and you’re amazing.
Vegan Caesar Salad Toppings
Arguably, my favorite part of eating a salad was always the toppings, and I never skimp on them here!
- Homemade Croutons: Okay, you don’t have to make them homemade, but your life will probably change forever if you listen to my advice here – the homemade route is worth it!
- Vegan Chik’n of choice: We’re big fans of both our lemon pepper tofu cutlets or these parmesan tofu cutlets here, but you can use any vegan chik’n you want! Chickpeas also work in a pinch. This really bulks up your salad to create a hearty meal.
- Vegan Parmesan: We love using a sprinkle of our Cheesy Garlic Butter Blend here or even some nooch! Our favorite store-bought parm is that purple container by Go Veggie, but if you’re looking for more of a shaved parm sitch, the brand Violife makes a killer dairy-free version!
- Crispy Onions: This choice is less traditional but a personal favorite in our house! Crispy onions can level-up just about anything.
- Freshly ground black pepper because you can’t have a Caesar salad without it!
This would be such a great recipe to serve at all your family gatherings. We love how it goes with just about any meal! It’s also a killer meal prep option. Just make the dressing + toppings ahead of time and have big beautiful comforting Caesar salads all week long.
If and when you make it, let us know how it goes! You can rate the recipe and leave a comment below or tag us in your photos on Instagram. If you’re not already following along, we’re @theplantpowercouple with the “the”.
We hope you and your family enjoy this recipe as much as we have. Cheers!
This easy vegan caesar salad recipe is delicious, nut-free, and meal prep friendly! The dressing is made with a silken tofu base and flavored to perfection with only 9 simple ingredients. Serve it as part of a big holiday meal or bulk it up with all the toppings for a healthy comforting meal!
15 minPrep Time:
15 minTotal Time:
- 2 heads romaine lettuce, roughly chopped
- 1 14-oz package silken tofu
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- juice from 1 lemon
- 2 tsp white miso paste (or white vinegar)
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 2 large cloves garlic
- 2 teaspoons capers
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- Vegan chik’n of choice (We dig these tofu cutlets .)
- Freshly cracked black pepper
- homemade croutons
- crispy onions
- Cheesy Garlic Butter Blend -or- vegan parmesan
- First, make your dressing: Add all ingredients to a blender or food processor and blend until smooth and creamy.
- Wash, dry, and chop your lettuce. Toss in a large salad bowl with enough dressing to coat. Add the remainder of the toppings, and enjoy!
- The dressing can be stored for up to a week in an air-tight container in the fridge. We do NOT recommend freezing the dressing, as it can affect the texture of the silken tofu. We love serving this salad with pizza, pasta, chik’n parm, or all on its own!