Get ready to veganize alllll the cozy casseroles of your childhood with this remarkably simple recipe for vegan condensed cream of chicken soup! It’s the perfect healthy vegetarian and dairy free substitute with just 5 ingredients, 20 minutes, and a taste that will blow your mind. Let’s do this!
This post contains affiliate links. As Amazon Associates, we earn a small commission from qualifying purchases (at no cost to you). Click here to read our full policy about affiliate links. Thank you for shopping our affiliate links, as it helps us keep the free vegan recipes coming your way!
The first time I made this recipe for vegan condensed cream of chicken soup was this past summer. It happened by complete accident as I was initially testing some blender soup recipes (like this one or this one) that could be served cold.
As soon as I tasted it though, I was shocked how much it tasted like those cans of Campbell’s Cream of Chicken Soups. And, side note: Kinda funny since we just posted T’s veganized version of Campbell’s vegetable soup this past weekend. As it cooled, I noticed it even thickened up exactly like the condensed soups. Food magic!
Immediately, I began dreaming of alllll the cozy soups, stews, and casseroles I could make with this fantastic creation. That is, until I snapped back to the humid, sweaty reality that was my sweltering NE Philly kitchen on the hottest day of the year.
So, I vowed to keep this recipe on the back-burner until using my oven sounded like something more enticing than the torture I knew it would be at that moment. And here, in the throws of December, it seems like a much more appropriate time. I am so happy to share this recipe with you today!
Ingredients in Vegetarian Cream of Chicken Substitute
To make this magical plant-based cream of chicken recipe, you’ll need just a few basic ingredients:
- Red lentils – These are the KEY to creating that incredible real deal texture. I know it sounds a little weird, but TRUST.
- Unsalted / unroasted cashews – These add incredible creaminess and fat to our condensed soup. If you have a nut allergy, you can sub sunflower seeds or hulled hemp seeds.
- Vegan chicken-style bouillon powder – We always use our homemade vegan bouillon powder, so I can’t vouch for other brands.
- Sea salt
How to Make This Vegan Condensed Cream of Chicken Soup
It could NOT be easier to make this vegan condensed cream of chicken soup. You’ll start by throwing all five ingredients into a medium sauce pan. Then, bring it to a boil and let it simmer for 10 minutes.
Next up, carefully add the contents of that simmering pot to your Vitamix or other high-powered blender. Blend on high until smooth and luxuriously creamy. It’s basically mandatory to take a taste at this point, both to test and adjust seasonings and also to marvel at the beauuutiful creation you just made!
Because the soup thickens quickly as it cools, I like to immediately pour it into three 8-oz mason jars and put the lids on each right away. Then, I let them cool completely on the counter before transferring them to the fridge.
When you go to use your jar of vegan condensed cream of chicken soup, it will be super thick and almost gel-like. I know that kinda sounds weird, but if you’ve ever opened one of those Cream of… cans, you know exactly what I mean. This makes it an ideal 1:1 replacement for condensed cream of chicken soup in any and alllll the recipes! Eeek! I can’t be the only one who gets crazy-excited about that, right?!
Go forth and veganize ALL THE THINGS!
I have a feeling this vegan condensed cream of chicken soup is going to become your secret weapon for creating the BEST cozy winter food. We’ll have some more recipes coming your way soon that will utilize this stuff. For example: vegan chik’n and rice casserole and pot pie casserole *SWOON*), but we cannot wait to hear what you do with it too!
Looking for a mushroom version of this soup? Check out our Vegan Condensed Cream of Mushroom Soup recipe!
Let us know when you make this recipe and what you do with it! Leave a rating and review below or tag us on Instagram! If you’re not hanging out with us over there, we’re @theplantpowercouple with the “the”. We cannot wait to see what kind of magical deliciousness you will create!
- SIMMER: Add all the ingredients to a medium sauce pan and stir. Turn the heat to high, cover the pot, and bring the mixture to a boil. When the mixture begins boiling, turn the heat to low and let simmer (covered) for about 10 minutes.
- BLEND: Pour the mixture into your Vitamix or another high-powered blender and blend until smooth and creamy, stopping to scrape the sides as needed.
- To store: Immediately pour the mixture into three 8-oz mason jars and cover with the canning lids. Let them cool on the counter completely. When cooled, gently press down on the center of your canning lid (it should seal when you do this if it hasn't already) and place in the fridge for future use in all your cozy soups, stews, and casseroles!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Serving Size:1/2 can
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 204Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 715mgCarbohydrates: 26gFiber: 4gSugar: 1gProtein: 11g
Nutrition information is automatically calculated and may not always be accurate.