Hey there. Good Monday morning to you, and happy DAY ONE of our Love Your Vegan Life mini challenge! Can you FEEL my excitement?! I hope so because it’s seriously time to start getting excited about dinner again. And not just because it tastes outrageously delicious – because it also makes your mind and body FEEL good.
And that, my friends is exactly the recipe we have for you today.
If you’ve spent any length of time with us, you already know how I (Brittany) feel about veggies. (That sideways-looking sarcastically-smiling emoji comes to mind.) In short, I’m not a huge fan. Your children and I probably have this in common.
So, needless to say, when you hear me getting this enthusiastic over such an obviously veggie-centric type of dish, you KNOW it’s got to be special. This dish gets me to inhale a plate of green beans, red cabbage, carrots, and onions in a way that closely resembles how I devour a bowl of vegan mac n cheese. How, you ask? Homemade spicy Thai peanut sauce, that’s how!
The inspiration for this recipe comes from our favorite neighborhood restaurant – House of Thai. They have a dynamite vegan selection, but this dish (which they call Tofu Delight) is always my go-to. We didn’t add tofu to this version, but you totally could! You can also change up the veggies based on taste preference and what you have in the fridge. Some broccoli would be lovely in this sauce. (Okay, seriously. WHO AM I?!)
Anyway, we hope you will make and enjoy this recipe as much as we do. If and when you DO make this, tag it #LYVLchallenge, so we can all cheer each other on! Looking forward to seeing your pictures, Plant Power People!
Yield: 4 servings
- 2 lb. fresh green beans - ends cut off
- 4 medium carrots - sliced julienne (matchsticks)
- 1 small yellow onion - halved and sliced very thin
- 3-5 large cloves garlic - minced fine
- 2 cups red cabbage - sliced thin
- 1 Tbspn coconut oil
- 4 Tbspn peanut butter
- 2 Tbspn Sriracha
- 1 Tbspn soy sauce
- 1 Tbspn agave
- 1 Tbspn rice wine vinegar
- 1 tspn paprika
- 1/2 tspn cumin
- 1/2 tspn garlic powder
- 1/2 tspn onion powder
- First, make your sauce: Place all ingredients together in a bowl and whisk together with 1/2 cup very warm water
- In a large hot saute pan melt 1 Tbspn Coconut oil, add beans, carrots, onions, and garlic
- Saute approx. 3 minutes, add 1/4 cup water and cover for another 3 minutes (to blanch veg further)
- Add red cabbage and stir in with other veg
- Add peanut sauce, stir/blend well
- Keep veggies moving fairly often while you let sauce thicken
If you’re more of a visual person, watch us make this meal LIVE on Periscope: