Vegan Parmesan Breadsticks are easy to make with pre-made pizza dough and a simple dairy free parmesan spread made with white miso paste, garlic, and nutritional yeast. Miso is the key ingredient that adds that amazing fermented flavor without any cheese. You’ll be shocked how much these vegan breadsticks taste just like the cheesy bread you get at your local pizza place! Serve them as a fun side or party snack next to some marinara sauce for dipping. This post is sponsored by our friends at Miso Master!
This post contains affiliate links. As Amazon Associates, we earn a small commission from qualifying purchases (at no cost to you). Click here to read our full policy about affiliate links. Thank you for shopping our affiliate links, as it helps us keep the free vegan recipes coming your way!
I used to LOVE those cheesy breadsticks you’d get at your local pizza place growing up. After I went vegan (and learned about the incredible power of miso paste in vegan cheese recipes!) I had an idea to spread some miso paste onto a sheet of pizza dough, bake it, and see what happens. Well, this is what happens – PURE VEGAN MAGIC!
I couldn’t believe how cheesy and flavorful it turned out – a dead-on flavor match for the cheesy breadsticks I loved as a teenager but without using any cheese – vegan or not! I’ve been a miso paste super fan ever since, and today, I am SO excited to share this dairy free cooking hack and recipe with you!
Click here to Pin this recipe for later.
Why We Love These Cheesy Vegan Breadsticks
- These dairy free breadsticks could NOT be easier to make: Blend up a 4-ingredient parmesan spread, spread it on some pizza dough, bake, slice, and enjoy!
- They’re the perfect plant-based snack to bring to a party – like a football game or even a kids’ birthday party!
- I cannot say this enough, but they are DELICIOUS. These cheesy breadsticks taste great hot, obviously, but they’re also fantastic right outta the fridge in the middle of the night (the true test for any cheesy bread recipe in my opinion!).
What’s in Vegan Parmesan Breadsticks?
You only need 6 simple ingredients to make these incredible Vegan Parmesan Breadsticks!
For the vegan parmesan cheese spread, you’ll need:
- Miso Master Organic Mellow White Miso – If you’re not already familiar, miso paste is made from fermented soy beans. It’s perfect for vegan cheese recipes because it adds that fermented flavor that tastes so much like parmesan! Miso Master’s Organic Mellow White Miso is our go-to miso paste for ALL of our recipes. We’ve tried pretty much every option out there, and none of them compare to the quality and taste of Miso Master!
- Nutritional yeast – This is a staple ingredient in a vegan pantry and adds a little extra nuttiness to our spread. Please note: Nutritional yeast is a deactivated yeast meant for adding flavor. It is not interchangeable with other types of yeast.
- Garlic cloves
You’ll also need:
- Vegan-friendly pizza dough – We used our homemade vegan pizza dough, but there are a lot of “accidentally” vegan brands you can find at your local grocery store – just check the ingredients. We find the best quality store-bought pizza dough comes from the freezer section.
- Ground black pepper – For sprinkling!
The Best Miso Paste for Vegan Cheese Recipes
Miso Master Organic Mellow White Miso is our ultimate go-to for vegan cheese recipes like this! Especially with this recipe, where the miso is really the star of the show, you want to be sure you’re using a high-quality miso paste that is fresh and has a great taste.
We love Miso Master because their miso comes in a resealable container that keeps your miso fresh for a long time (up to 18 months in the fridge!). This is so key – I can’t even tell you how many bags of miso I’ve wasted because it came in packaging that made it difficult to keep fresh.
Miso Master’s Organic Mellow White Miso Paste is also short-term aged for a minimum of 30 days, giving it the perfect flavor for vegan cheese recipes. It has this rich and fermented flavor with these incredible bright zippy notes that really come alive in your mouth!
It’s also handmade in North Carolina with organic ingredients. The people at Miso Master have been making miso for more than 40 years and truly care about producing consistent high-quality products. That care really shines through on the consumer side, and I cannot recommend them enough!
How to Make Dairy Free Cheesy Bread
These Cheesy Vegan Breadsticks are so easy to make in 4 simple steps!
Step 1: Make the vegan parmesan spread.
Start by making the vegan parmesan spread! Just add all the ingredients to a small food processor and blend until smooth, stopping to scrape down the sides as needed. Cover this and set it aside while you prep the dough.
Step 2: Prep the pizza dough.
Now, it’s time to prepare that pizza dough! You want to be sure to defrost the dough fully before using it in this recipe. Once defrosted, lightly flour the outside (this will keep it from sticking to your hands and the baking sheet), line a baking sheet with parchment paper, and preheat your oven to 450F. Use your hands to press the pizza dough into the baking sheet, creating a circle or oval shape about 1/2 inch thick.
Step 3: Assemble the cheesy bread.
Now, the fun part! Use a rubber spatula to spread a generous amount of parmesan spread all over the top of the pizza dough. Depending on how much you use, the spread should make about 2 batches of breadsticks. Leftover spread can be stored in the fridge in an air-tight container for up to a week. We like to add it to pasta dishes and soups for a cheesy garlic flavor boost!
Step 4: Bake the breadsticks.
Then, it’s time to bake the vegan breadsticks! Sprinkle a pinch of ground black pepper on top of the parmesan spread and bake for 10-12 minutes, stopping to rotate the baking sheet once halfway through. This helps ensure even baking.
Step 5: Slice and serve your vegan breadsticks!
Finally, the time has come to serve our breadsticks! Carefully transfer the baked dough to a large cutting board and use a pizza cutter or large knife to slice the circle into 1-inch sticks. We then cut these sticks in half lengthwise for serving.
How to Serve Dairy Free Parmesan Breadsticks
Serve these Vegan Parmesan Breadsticks hot alongside pizza, a big vegan Caesar salad, or as a party snack. Although we haven’t tested it yet, I think they’d be a big hit for kids or at a football party!
We like to serve them with some warm marinara sauce for dipping. But like I said earlier, they’re also great outta the fridge for breakfast after a night of too much wine. (Talk about a breakfast that’ll take you back to college! 🙂 )
How to Store Leftover Vegan Breadsticks
Store leftover breadsticks in an air-tight container in the fridge for up to 3 days. Reheat the breadsticks at a low heat in the microwave or in the oven until warmed through.
You can also freeze these vegan breadsticks! Let them cool completely. Then, wrap them in plastic wrap and place in a zip-lock bag or air-tight container and freeze for up to a month. Let them defrost completely before reheating and eating.
More Vegan Miso Paste Recipes:
When you try these cheesy vegan breadsticks, we would LOVE to hear what you thought! We love when you rate the recipe and leave a comment below (it helps more people find us!).
And don’t forget to tag both @theplantpowercouple AND our friends at @misomaster in your photos on Instagram. We can’t wait to see how you’re using this recipe in your everyday life!
Vegan Parmesan Breadsticks
- Vegan-friendly pizza dough (defrosted, if needed)
- 1/8 tsp ground black pepper
For the vegan parmesan spread
- 1/2 cup Miso Master Organic Mellow White Miso
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 3 Tbsp water
- 2 large garlic cloves
- Make the parmesan spread: Add all the ingredients to a small food processor and blend until smooth, stopping to scrape down the sides as needed. Cover and set this aside while you prep the dough.
- Prep the pizza dough: Lightly flour the outside of your defrosted pizza dough, line a baking sheet with parchment paper, and preheat your oven to 450F. Use your hands to press the pizza dough into the baking sheet, creating a circle or oval shape about 1/2 inch thick.
- Assemble: Use a rubber spatula to spread a generous amount of parmesan spread all over the top of the pizza dough. Depending on how much you use, the spread should make about 2 batches of breadsticks. Leftover spread can also be added to pasta and soups for a cheesy garlic flavor boost!
- Bake: Sprinkle a pinch of ground black pepper on top of the parmesan spread and bake for 10-12 minutes, stopping to rotate the baking sheet once halfway through.
- Slice and serve: Carefully transfer to a large cutting board and use a pizza cutter or large knife to slice the circle into 1-inch sticks. We then cut these sticks in half lengthwise. Serve immediately with a side of marinara sauce and enjoy!
Serving Size:2 breadsticks
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 36Total Fat: 1gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 420mgCarbohydrates: 5gFiber: 1gSugar: 1gProtein: 3g
Nutrition information is automatically calculated and may not always be accurate.