These Polenta Pizza Bites are a delicious and easy appetizer or snack for a potluck or holiday gathering. They are everything you love about pizza but with a crispy polenta crust. The recipe is plant based, dairy free, egg free, and include a simple gluten free option as well. These easy mini pizzas are the perfect vegan party food for kids and adults alike!
This post contains affiliate links. As Amazon Associates, we earn a small commission from qualifying purchases (at no cost to you). We are also affiliates of wine.com and may earn a commission if you choose to purchase through our links. Click here to read our full policy about affiliate links. Thank you for shopping our affiliate links, as it helps us keep the free vegan recipes coming your way!
Let’s talk about these polenta pizza bites, shall we? When I say they’re easy to make, I mean it. And I’m speaking from major experience here. These polenta pizza bites are a recipe I’ve been making for at least 10 years now. In fact, they may be the very first vegan recipe I ever made.
And at the time, I thought going vegan was something I could never do. Like, ever. Not to mention, 7 years ago I had very little idea how to work an oven, let alone attempt half the super homemade recipes we post on this blog.
So, needless to say, this polenta pizza bites recipe is so easy, anyone can make it. If you’re just starting out in the kitchen or even as a vegan, I got you, my friend. Let’s make these polenta pizza bites and build our confidence a little, shall we?
Ingredients for Mini Polenta Pizzas
You only need 6 ingredients to make these adorable mini polenta pizzas! Don’t forget: You can find the full written recipe with ingredient amounts in the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
- A tube of polenta: Cut into 1/2 inch thick slices. You could potentially use polenta mix and cut circles out of it, but buying a tube of pre-made polenta is a huge time-saver!
- Plain unsweetened non-dairy milk: It’s important to use a non-dairy milk that is both plain and unsweetened and as neutral a flavor as you can find.
- Bread crumbs: To keep it vegan, make sure you use a brand of bread crumbs that don’t contain dairy (weirdly, many do). Gluten free breadcrumbs also work. In a pinch, over-toast some slices of bread and toss them in the food processor.
- Pizza sauce: Marinara will work in a pinch, but you don’t want something too watery.
- Non-dairy mozzarella shreds: Brands we like include Violife, Daiya, Treeline, and So Delicious! Whole Foods store brand non-dairy mozz is also great!
- Dried parsley and/or oregano: For sprinkling! Italian seasoning will also work. Dried basil will work too. And if you have access to fresh herbs, go for it!
How to Make Polenta Pizza Bites
These simple vegan polenta pizza bites could not be easier to make and perfect for beginners or getting your kids involved in cooking!
Step 1: Bread and bake the polenta rounds.
The process starts with the tube of polenta. You can find this stuff at most grocery stores; it’s basically just cornmeal. Simply slice it into 1/2-inch thick rounds, toss ’em in some bread crumbs, and bake ’em until they’re crispy.
Step 2: Top the polenta rounds and melt the vegan cheese.
Then, you’ll flip each polenta round and top them with a spoonful of pizza sauce, some vegan mozzarella shreds, and a sprinkle of herbs. Broil for 90 seconds or until your cheese melts and voila! Your polenta pizza bites are ready to serve!
How to Serve These Dairy Free Polenta Pizzas
These polenta pizza bites were my go-to for potlucks and parties for years and whether it was an all-vegan potluck or a room full of omnivores, they always go fast!
The simple gluten free option makes them extra awesome for feeding to a crowd with different dietary needs. Score!!
Serve them as-is or with a side of pizza sauce for dipping. You just can’t go wrong!
Give these polenta pizza bites a try for your next potluck or family gathering! And when you do, tag us in your photos on Instagram (we’re @theplantpowercouple, with the ‘the’). Now go get that kitchen confidence, friend! You got this!
More Vegan Pizza Recipes:
- Vegan Baked Ziti Pizza
- Dairy Free Pesto Pizza with Sausage-Style Walnut Meat
- Vegan White Pizza with Marinated Vegetables
- Vegan Chicken Parm Pizza
- PREP: Preheat oven to 425F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- BREAD AND BAKE: Pour the non dairy milk and bread crumbs into two separate shallow dishes (pie dishes work great). Dip each polenta circle into the milk, then the breadcrumbs - evenly coating them. Place each on the baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes or until bread crumbs are starting to get brown and crispy.
- ADD TOPPINGS: Carefully flip each polenta circle and top each with a spoonful of sauce, then a sprinkle of vegan cheese. Top with a light sprinkle of dried parsley and oregano.
- BROIL: Switch the oven to broil and broil the polenta rounds for another 1-2 minutes or until the cheese is melted. You can also just stick them back in the oven and cook until the vegan cheese has melted. Then, serve and enjoy!
If you don't have bread crumbs (or can't find them), feel free to throw some stale, toasted bread in a food processor. This works great with gluten-free bread too.
Serving Size:2 rounds
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 123Total Fat: 4gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 304mgCarbohydrates: 15gFiber: 1gSugar: 3gProtein: 5g
Nutrition information is automatically calculated and may not always be accurate.