This easy vegan butterbeer recipe is the perfect hot and cozy drink for winter nights and can also be served over ice in the summer! A dairy free version of the drink made famous in the Harry Potter series, our butterbeer recipe is easy to make with or without alcohol. It will transport you to the Three Broomsticks with Harry, Ron, and Hermione!
This post contains affiliate links. As Amazon Associates, we earn a small commission from qualifying purchases (at no cost to you). Click here to read our full policy about affiliate links. Thank you for shopping our affiliate links, as it helps us keep the free vegan recipes coming your way!
Calling all Potterheads and Dumbledorks: We’re making hot vegan butterbeer!
For those of you muggles (non-magic persons) out there, butterbeer is the preferred drink of house elves, students visiting Hogsmeade, and Hogwarts professors alike.
It’s a drink most often served warm with a slight alcoholic content that tastes like creamy, hot, liquid butterscotch filling the drinker with love and happiness. (IYKNK)
Ingredients in Vegan Butterbeer
You only need 5 ingredients to make this boozy dairy free butterbeer recipe! (+ vegan whipped cream for topping!)
- Cream soda
- Raw cashews
- Vegan butter
- Butterscotch candies – Be sure to check the ingredients on your butterscotch hard candies, but many are “accidentally” vegan. Butterscotch Dum Dums work too!
- Whiskey (optional)
How to Make Dairy Free Hot Butterbeer
The method may seem a little weird, but trust us when we say this is the BEST vegan butterbeer you’ll ever taste!
Step 1: Simmer.
First, the cream soda. Pour a liter of that stuff into a pot with some cashews and bring it to a boil. Boiling the cashews with the soda will soften them up, so we don’t have to spend hours soaking them. Make sure you simmer this until there are no more bubbles in your cream soda!
Then, add some vegan butter and a few butterscotch hard candies and stir until they’re melted.
Step 2: Blend.
And bing, bang, boom! You’ve apparated to the Three Broomsticks for a mug with Harry, Ron, and Hermione.
TIP: It is important to use a blender that is both heat safe AND high-powered for this recipe. Stay away from blenders that don’t have an opening for the steam to escape (like those single serving cups that you turn upside down).
How to Serve Homemade Vegan Butterbeer
Get 4 10-oz mugs ready and fill each with 1/2 – 1 oz whiskey (optional). Split the butterbeer between the four mugs and top with vegan whipped cream, crushed butterscotch candies, and coconut sugar.
You should totally make this vegan butterbeer for yourself and allll the Dumbledorks in your life! And maybe you should drink it whilst watching a Harry Potter movie. Or better yet, reading one of the books.
However you drink it, let us know! Rate the recipe and leave a comment below or tag us in your photos on Instagram. If you’re not already hanging out with us over there, we’re @theplantpowercouple, with the “the”. Cheers!
More Creative Vegan Drink Recipes:
- 4 cups cream soda
- 1/3 cup raw cashews
- 2 Tbsp vegan butter
- 2-3 butterscotch candies*
- 2-4 oz whiskey (optional)
- Put the cream soda and cashews in a large pot. Cover and bring to a full boil.
- When boiling, remove the lid and add the vegan butter and butterscotch candies. Stir continuously until both the butter and candies are melted, about 5 minutes. Turn the heat to low and let the mixture cook for another 5-10 minutes uncovered, stirring occasionally. This part is important, as you want to be sure you cook the carbonation out of the cream soda before you add it to the blender.
- Remove the pot from heat, pour this mixture into your Vitamix or other high-powered and heat-safe blender and blend on high for about two minutes. Remove the cap and let it sit for 5 minutes before replacing the cap and blending on high another minute.
- To serve: Get 4 10-oz mugs ready and fill each with 1/2 - 1 oz whiskey (optional). Split the butterbeer between the four mugs and top with vegan whipped cream, crushed butterscotch candies, and coconut sugar. Enjoy!
*Be sure to check the ingredients on your butterscotch hard candies, but many are "accidentally" vegan. Butterscotch Dum Dums work too!
**It is important to use a blender that is both heat safe AND high-powered for this recipe. We use a Vitamix.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 404Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 63mgCarbohydrates: 45gFiber: 0gSugar: 41gProtein: 2g
Nutrition information is automatically calculated and may not always be accurate.