This easy vegan buttermilk ranch dip recipe is the best plant based appetizer or snack for a party and perfect for plant based meal prep. The recipe takes 10 minutes, 1 bowl, and 9 staple ingredients. It’s gluten-free, dairy-free, kid-friendly, and will get you excited about eating your veggies! You can even thin it our a bit to use it as a more of a salad dressing.
This post contains affiliate links. As Amazon Associates, we earn a small commission from qualifying purchases (at no cost to you). Click here to read our full policy about affiliate links. Thank you for shopping our affiliate links, as it helps us keep the free vegan recipes coming your way!
My Nana and Popop always stocked their fridge with a Tupperware container full of buttermilk ranch dip. It was that ranch you’d make with the packet of seasoning; you know the one I’m talking about!
The flavor was always 10x better than the stuff that came outta the bottle, and I’m pretty sure it was the only thing that got me to eat my veggies in those days.
Since I went vegan, I’ve had trouble finding a store-bought ranch that compares to these delicious memories. That is, until T whipped up this awesome vegan buttermilk ranch dip as a last-minute dinner party appetizer one night.
I took one taste, and all those memories of after school snacks at Nana and Popop’s house came flooding back.
We’ve made this recipe about a million times since then and Nana even had a chance to try it. She loved it and marveled at how much it tasted like the ranch they used to keep in the fridge.
That’s when I knew we truly nailed it.
Click here to Pin this recipe for later.
What is vegan ranch made of?
You only need 9 ingredients to make this dairy free ranch dressing recipe:
- Plain unsweetened non-dairy milk – You can use any kind of non-dairy milk you like (soy / almond / cashew / oat / etc.), but the important part here is to use a milk that is both PLAIN (sometimes this is also labeled as “ORIGINAL”) + UNSWEETENED.
Basically, you want the blandest milk possible, so it doesn’t off-set the flavor of this homemade vegan ranch. Buying the right kind of milk is 89% of nailing this recipe, so trust me on this. You do NOT want a weirdly sweet or vanilla-flavored ranch. (I speak from experience here.)
- Apple Cider Vinegar – We’ll mix this with the non-dairy milk to make our vegan buttermilk. Easy peasy!
- Vegan Mayo – Use your favorite store-bought version or homemade recipe! (If you use an oil-free vegan mayo recipe, this whole recipe will be oil-free.)
- SPICES: onion powder, garlic powder, dried parsley, finely ground black pepper, and celery salt
How to Make Vegan Buttermilk Ranch Dip
This is LE-GIT the easiest recipe in the history of recipes.
Grab a large mixing bowl, whisk, and your measuring cups! You’ll start by whisking some apple cider vinegar with plain non-dairy milk to make your buttermilk.
Next, you’ll set the buttermilk aside to curdle for about 3-5 minutes while you gather the remainder of your ingredients. Add the vegan mayo and a few pantry staple seasonings and whisk until everything is nice and smooth and beauuuutiful.
Then, GET DIPPIN’!
How to Use This Vegan Ranch Dip
Use this vegan buttermilk ranch dip for a last-minute party appetizer served with lots of fresh veggies, vegan buffalo wings or nuggets (Our fam loves the ones by Morning Star.), and allllll the crackers.
You can also try it as a sandwich spread, meal-prep snack, or for dipping pizza crusts! (I hear that’s a thing?)
You can even use this plant based ranch as a salad dressing if you add just a little more dairy free buttermilk to thin out the texture. I have never eaten salad so consistently in. my. life. But with this stuff, I can’t stop! Especially, when you throw a couple Balsamic Tomato Tofu Cutlets in the the mix.
It’s fantastic used in our Vegan Chickpea Bacon Ranch Wrap! And if you’re a die-hard ranch fan, try dairy free ranch recipe in our Vegan Broccoli Ranch Twice-Baked Potatoes!
Other Vegan Dip Recipes:
When you make this easy AF vegan buttermilk ranch dip, we would LOVE to hear how it went and all the delicious ways you used it!
You can rate the recipe and leave a comment below or tag us in your tantalizing photos on Instagram. If you’re not already following along, we’re @theplantpowercouple with the “the”.
And if you want to be sure you never miss a Plant Power Couple recipe, don’t forget to get your name on our email list!
Until next time, friends. Happy whisking! 😉
Vegan Buttermilk Ranch Dip
This easy vegan buttermilk ranch dip is perfect for a last-minute party appetizer or plant based meal prep snack. The recipe takes 10 minutes, 1 bowl, and 9 staple ingredients. It’s gluten-free, picky-eater-friendly, and will get you excited about eating your veggies!
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the non-dairy milk and apple cider vinegar. Set this aside for 3-5 minutes while you gather the rest of your ingredients.
- Add the remainder of ingredients to the bowl and whisk until smooth and well-combined. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed. If you’d like a thinner texture, whisk in more non-dairy milk 1 Tbsp at a time until it reaches your desired thickness.
- Serve as a dip with veggies and vegan nuggets or drizzled over salads, bowls, and pizza! Store this vegan ranch dip in an air-tight container in the fridge for up to 10 days and ENJOY!
TO MAKE THIS OIL-FREE: Use your favorite oil-free vegan mayo recipe! We dig this one by From My Bowl.
Serving Size:1/4 cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 194Total Fat: 18gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 14gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 268mgCarbohydrates: 8gFiber: 0gSugar: 3gProtein: 1g
Nutrition information is automatically calculated and may not always be accurate.
7 thoughts on “Vegan Buttermilk Ranch Dip”