This easy vegan Thanksgiving gravy is a family favorite at our holiday dinners! It’s quick to make and the recipe is both oil-free AND gluten-free but still FULL of flavor. Pour this dairy-free gravy over mashed potatoes, waffles, biscuits, or your entire holiday feast.
This post contains affiliate links. As Amazon Associates, we earn a small commission from qualifying purchases (at no cost to you). Click here to read our full policy about affiliate links. Thank you for shopping our affiliate links, as it helps support our business and keep the yummy recipes coming your way!
I think we can all agree a good vegan gravy can make or break an entire holiday dinner. I mean, you don’t want your glorious mound of mashed taters drizzled with thin flavorless tinted water, right?
No way! You want something thick and creamy with a rich, robust flavor that wraps you in its loving arms and whispers, “Welcome home” into your ear.
Yes, friends. It may sound a little “out-there”, but this is the holiday gravy experience I desire which is why I am sharing my gravy solution to end all gravy solutions today with this recipe for turkey-style vegan gravy.
This vegan gravy is BEGGGGING to be poured all over a giant plate of mashed potatoes, but that’s not its only use! This gravy is also killer on stuffing, seitan roasts, and all. the. veggies. We also love to pour it over biscuits for a comforting weekend breakfast.
Why We Love This Vegan Gravy
So, let’s get down to it. What exactly makes this gravy so spectacular and life-changing that I can write an entire passionate ode to it?
For one thing, this vegan gravy is 100% oil-free whilst still somehow staying lusciously thick and creamy, thanks to a method I picked up from one of my favorite vegan food bloggers, Happy Herbivore.
Of course, if you don’t have a need to avoid gluten, feel free to add all-purpose or whole wheat flour in its place. But honestly, I love the texture tapioca starch gives this vegan gravy over the more glutenous options. 🤷🏻
So, not only is this vegan gravy super-yum, but it’s also rather freakin’ healthy! That’s a win-win I can really get excited about!
We will definitely be making this vegan gravy for our Thanksgiving feast. It’s always a major hit – so much so that for the past two years we’ve made it, someone has ended up pouring the last drops of it straight from the gravy boat into their mouth.
Maybe that action would be reprehensible to some, but to me there is no better compliment. 😃
Are you on board?
If you make this vegan gravy for your holiday dinner (or any time), we wanna know what you think! Rate the recipe and leave a comment below or tag us in your cozy gravy photos on Instagram. We’re @theplantpowercouple, with the ‘the’. 😉
20 minCook Time:
20 minTotal Time:
5 based on 1 review(s)
- 2 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- 2 Tbsp veggie bouillon powder
- 1/4 cup tapioca starch (or whole wheat flour if not gluten-free)
- 2 cups warm water
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- Heat a medium sauce pan on low heat and add your nutritional yeast, bouillon, and flour. Whisk to combine and continue heating the mixture, whisking often, for 3 minutes.
- Next, slowly whisk in the warm water until no clumps remain. Cover and bring this mixture to a boil.
- Remove the cover and turn the heat to low. Allow the gravy to simmer for 7-10 minutes or until it reaches your desired consistency. Make sure you are stirring the mixture often, scraping the bottom to avoid burning it.
- Finally, add the garlic powder and a pinch of salt and pepper. Stir, taste, and adjust seasonings as you see fit.
- Pour this gravy over smashed potates , stuffing , or your Thanksgiving seitan roast . Enjoy!