Raise your hand if you’ve already come down with your first winter cold!
Yea, us too. 🙁
And I don’t know about you, but when I get sick (like, REALLY sick) all I want to do is lie under a blanket on my couch and consume LARGE amounts of this vegan chicken noodle soup with an endless supply of tea and Saltine crackers (and complain, A LOT). It’s a habit and cravings that definitely go back to childhood. There was always something super healing and comforting about a large bowl of chicken noodle soup – with those thick, broth-infused noodles and perfect blend of herbs and spices…mmmm,
I’m feeling better already!
There are some great canned vegan chik’n noodle soups out there (Amy’s brand is a favorite!), but we decided to make our own version and oooooooooh my goodness, I am SO glad we did.
The secret to this vegan chicken noodle soup is one magical concoction we like to call Chicken(less) Noodle Soup Powder. It’s an easy bouillon powder made with a base of nutritional yeast and other spices and herbs that has a dead-on chicken broth flavor and also acts as a mild thickener – leaving you with one luxurious and super-healing concoction.
The bouillon powder is rather easy to make, but if you’re not feeling like going super homemade today, check out our Spice Shop for some ready-made options.
And did I mention the noodles? Thanks to the aforementioned Chicken(less) Noodle Soup Powder, the noodles are legit bursting with flavor. Ahhh, you guys. It’s SO good.
This soup rocks. It is EVERYTHING you’ve ever dreamed of. Seriously.
If you start to feel yourself getting sick this season, make this vegan chicken noodle soup. Pronto. Or better yet, have someone else make it for you. It’s so easy, even the most nascent of cooks could tackle it with ease. Plus, it will set you up for the rest and relaxation your body deserves!
Wanna watch us make this vegan chicken noodle soup recipe LIVE?
Check out the replay from our Facebook page, and feel free to ask alllll your questions. 🙂
- 2 cups nutritional yeast
- 1/4 cup sea salt
- 2 Tbsp onion powder
- 1 Tbsp turmeric
- 2 tsp dried dill
- 1 tsp celery salt
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 Tbsp Italian seasoning
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 Tbsp olive or refined coconut oil
- 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 cups vegetable broth (or more water)
- 6 cups water
- 1/4 cup + 3 Tbsp Chicken(less) Noodle Soup Powder
- 1/2 16-oz package spaghetti or linguine noodles, dry
- 1 - 2 cups dehydrated soy curls (you can also use homemade seitan or your favorite non-breaded vegan chik'n - we dig Gardein and Beyond Meat )
- For the bouillon powder, throw all the ingredients together in a small blender or food processor and pulse until ingredients are nice and powder-y. Set aside for later.
- Add a Tbsp of oil to a large pot and turn heat to medium high. Add your carrots, celery, onion, and a pinch of salt. Saute for 2 - 3 minutes.
- Add flour and stir to coat.
- Pour in 4 cups water and 2 cups veg broth (or more water) and bring to a boil. Add the Chicken(less) Noodle Soup Powder and stir.
- Add your pasta and cook 7 - 10 minutes, covered, stirring occassionally.
- Add 2 more cups hot water with your soy curls and allow it to simmer, uncovered, 2 more minutes.
- Turn off the heat, cover, and allow the noodles to soak up all that deliciousness for about 5-10 minutes.
- Taste and adjust seasonings. Serve in a big bowl with a side of biscuits or crispy bread. Enjoy!
If you don't feel like making your own Chicken(less) Noodle Soup Powder, check out our Spice Shop !
This is one of the recipes in our e-cookbook 20+ Recipes to Become a Cruelty-Free Kitchen Badass. If you dug it, we think you’ll definitely dig the other recipes in the cookbook!