This Sweet Potato Gnocchi in Garlic Sage Cream Sauce is the PERFECT dinner recipe for those blustery fall / winter nights when you want something warm and comforting but also pretty healthy.
I’ve always had a deep fondness for potatoes. I mean, who hasn’t?! Case in point: I write this sentence as I’m sitting at my desk on a Friday morning eating nothing other than mashed potatoes for breakfast (+ a smoothie because…balance).
Coincidentally (or not so coincidentally), I’ve also harbored a deep fondness for pasta my entire life. So, when I learned this dish called gnocchi exists that is basically this deliciously comforting potato-pasta hybrid, I was SO. ON. BOARD.
Have you made your own gnocchi before?
If not and the idea kinda scares you, I totally get that. You’re talking to someone who – up until a few years ago – had no idea people made their own salad dressings, let alone something “ridiculously complicated” like making your own gnocchi. What kind of crazy person would do that?!
Well, I am happy to report that I am now “that crazy person” who makes her own gnocchi. And I gotta say, guys, it’s not as difficult as we think it is. In fact, all you need to do is mix some mashed taters with flour, knead it, cut it, and boil it. That’s it. Really.
And it can all be done in about 15-20 minutes. And that’s for someone – like me – who gets distracted super easily. Gnocchi on the table for dinner TONIGHT, no fancy chef skills required.
And if the ease of the gnocchi-making process surprises you, wait until you see how quickly this sauce comes together. Just throw all the ingredients in a food processor, heat it up, and pour!
Wanna learn how to make this Homemade Sweet Potato Gnocchi in 60 seconds? Check out this quick video:
I talked about how easy it is to make this Sweet Potato Gnocchi in Garlic Sage Cream Sauce, but did I tell you how unbelievably delicious this dish is?! The garlic, the sage, the subtle sweetness from the sweet potato, OMG. All the flavors come together perfectly in one undeniably spectacular way. I may be able to eat this dish for dinner EVERY day; that is how delicious it is.
This recipe is just begging to be on your dinner table this week. Do not be afraid! Give this recipe a try, and you can and will have conquered the mighty task of making homemade sweet potato gnocchi. And your reward will be a delicious one indeed!
When you do conquer all your gnocchi-making fears, let us know: Tag us on Instagram (we’re @theplantpowercouple, with the ‘the’) or Facebook (just Plant Power Couple there). We would love to celebrate your awesome-ness with you! 🙂
Wanna make vegan sweet potato gnocchi with us? Check out our live-recorded video:
25 minPrep Time:
10 minCook Time:
35 minTotal Time:
- 1 cup sweet potato puree
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup vegan parmesan or Cheesy Garlic Butter Blend
- 6 oz silken tofu
- 5 cloves garlic, roasted
- 1/4 cup diced onion
- 1/4 cup vegan parmesan (or Cheesy Garlic Butter Blend )
- juice from 1/2 lemon
- 1 Tbsp tahini
- 3/4 cup unsweetened non-dairy milk
- 1/2 tsp powdered sage
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 Tbsp corn or tapioca starch
- Combine sweet potato puree in a bowl with the flour and a vegan parmesan. Stir until roughly combined, then get in there and knead it a few times until it comes together in a ball. If it's still super sticky, knead in some more flour.
- Turn the dough onto a floured surface, sprinkle with more flour, and cut the dough into 2 equal sections. Take the first section and roll it out into a long snake-like shape.
- Cut the dough into small 1-inch sections. These will be your gnocchi!
- Then, get a large pot of water boiling! Boil the gnocchi until they float to the top. That means they're ready!
- Whilst your gnocchi is boiling, make your sauce by adding all ingredients to a blender or food processor. Blend until smooth.
- Then, pour your sauce into a medium sauce pan, bring to a boil. When it reaches a boil, remove the lid and turn heat to low.
- Allow the sauce to simmer - uncovered - for 3-5 minutes to thicken, stirring often.
- Taste and adjust seasonings (we added another generous pinch of sea salt and pepper).
- Pour over gnocchi, and enjoy!