Ahhh, salad. Often, it’s the only vegan option at a restaurant, and when people hear you’re vegan it’s the first food they think you must love. Because what the hell else would a vegan eat, right?!
Wrong. So, so wrong.
All you need to do is take a look at the recipes on this site to realize vegan cuisine goes far beyond a boring ol’ salad. And no one is more excited about that than I am.
But, I’ve always felt differently about Caesar salad. Don’t we all? I feel like it’s the salad for salad-haters: no weird fancy lettuces, a thick flavorful dressing, and that tangy sprinkle of parmesan. It’s something familiar and comforting, but unfortunately, it’s traditionally very un-vegan…or even vegetarian for that matter.
That’s why this vegan caesar salad was one of the first recipes we made after going vegan.
And lucky for us, vegan versions of this classic dish are abound all over the internet. The first vegan caesar salad I made and the one by which this dressing was inspired is this one by Oh She Glows. I made quite a few changes to make it more mine over the years, and I’m really happy with where it is now which is why I’m super pumped to share this vegan caesar salad recipe with you today!
The dressing for this vegan caesar salad is made with a silken tofu base, so there are no cashews to soak. Major score in the time department! It also uses capers rather than anchovies because fish are friends, and – even as an omnivore – I always found it kinda gross that there were fish in my salad dressing. Surely, I cannot be alone in this.
Arguably, my favorite part of salads was always the croutons, and nothing beats homemade croutons, so obviously I had to include them in this recipe! Don’t let the whole homemade crouton thing intimidate you though. This recipe is super easy, using an air fryer to crisp those little squares of seasoned bread perfectly in no time. If you don’t have an air fryer though, no worries! We included the oven directions as well.
If you wanna make things extra exciting, try adding our Air-Fried Onions to the mix as well.
Let’s make this vegan caesar salad in under 60 seconds!
I hope you and your family enjoy this recipe! If and when you make it, let us know how it goes! Tag us in your epic photos on Instagram (we’re @theplantpowercouple, with the ‘the’) or Facebook (just Plant Power Couple there). Enjoy!
- slightly stale bread, cubed
- oil spray
- 1/2 tsp each garlic and onion powder
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp vegan parmesan (or Cheesy Garlic Butter Blend )
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 14-oz package silken tofu
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- juice from 1 lemon
- 2 tsp white miso paste
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 2 large cloves garlic
- 2 teaspoons capers
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 2 heads romaine lettuce, roughly chopped
- 4 cups fresh spinach, packed & shredded
- 1/2 head of purple cabbage, shredded
- air-fried onions (optional, but awesome)
- Make your croutons: Preheat your oven to 250F and toss your bread cubes with the oil and spices. Spread them on a parchment-lined baking sheet and bake for 30 minutes, stopping every 10 minutes to flip. Alternatively, you can air fry them at 250F for 10-15 minutes, shaking the basket every 5 minutes.
- Next, make your dressing: Add all ingredients to a blender or food processor and blend until smooth and creamy.
- Wash, dry, and chop your greens and cabbage. Toss together in a large salad bowl with vegan parmesan and enough dressing to coat. When the croutons are finished, add them to the top with a few more sprinkles of vegan parmesan and the optional air-fried onions. Enjoy!