Nothing special to see here, friends, just your average run-of-the-mill Vegan Caprese Grilled Cheese Sandwich. 😏
100% kidding; WE ARE TOTALLY FREAKING OUT OVER THESE, you guys!
These sandwiches are the epitome of summertime greatness: FULL of flavor and the perfect use of all the season’s glorious herbs & produce (Where are all my tomato-growin’ gardeners at?!).
Not to mention, they are just plain FUN: All the flavors you know and love from a Caprese salad but in grilled cheese form…and VEGAN.
WINS 🏆, WINS 🏆, WINS 🏆
Now, let’s talk about how we made these Vegan Caprese Grilled Cheese sandwiches…
We started with some fresh sourdough bread (because hello…😍🙌🏻), with a generous spread of vegan garlic butter. This basically turns the sandwich bread into GARLIC bread which is next-level in and of itself.
Then, we threw on a thick layer of flavor-packed pesto, topped that with THE most heavenly chunky balsamic tomato sauce (or, I suppose it’s more a tomato “jam”, but either way, it’s AWESOME), and finished it off with hunks of our favorite vegan mozzarella.
We fried it up in our cast iron pan with some excess garlic butter until the mozz was melty and the bread was perfectly crisp, and, as a choir of angels sang out, the Vegan Caprese Grilled Cheese sandwich was born. 👼
If reading this made your mouth water, then we are on the same page, my friend. You gotta make this!
And when you do make these Vegan Caprese Grilled Cheese sandwiches, we wanna hear ALLLLLL about it!
Seriously, every detail.
Well, okay, every detail you’re comfortable sharing; we won’t pry. But if you reaaaally wanna make our day, rate the recipe and leave a comment below or tag us on Instagram (we’re @theplantpowercouple with the ‘the’) because these sandwiches are something worth celebrating with THE WORLD! 💚🌍
Now, go kick ass in that kitchen and ENJOY!
Yield: 2 sandwiches
This vegan caprese grilled cheese is the epitome of summertime greatness: flavor-packed pesto, a heavenly balsamic tomato jam, and our favorite fresh vegan mozzarella all wrapped in the loving arms of lightly toasted garlic bread.
20 minPrep Time:
10 minCook Time:
30 minTotal Time:
- 1/4 cup vegan butter
- 1 Tbsp Cheesy Garlic Butter Blend
- 1/2 heaping cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/4 cup sun-dried tomatoes, re-hydrated and diced
- 1 tsp balsamic vinegar
- pinch of sea salt
- sourdough bread
- vegan pesto
- vegan mozzarella , sliced
- Make your garlic butter: Use a fork to mix the two ingredients together until well-combined.
- Make your balsamic tomato jam: Melt 1/2 Tbsp of the garlic butter in a large skillet on medium heat. Then, add the remainder of the ingredients and stir. Allow the mixture to cook for about 5 minutes, stirring often. Then, use a potato masher or the back of a wooden spoon to mash the tomatoes together. Stir again and remove from heat.
- Assemble your sandwich: Spread each piece of bread with a thin layer of garlic butter. Then, flip 'em and spread a thick layer of pesto on each piece. To half of the slices, add a generous amount of balsamic tomato jam and your mozzarella, and top that with the other piece of bread.
- Cook 'em up: Melt a Tbsp of the garlic butter in a large skillet on medium-high heat. Turn the heat to medium and gently add each sandwich to the skillet, cover, and cook for about 3-5 minutes, or until the mozzarella is melted enough to hold the sandwich together. Gently flip each sandwich and cook for another 2-4 minutes, uncovered, until the bread is lightly browned and the mozzarella is melted.
- Finally, plate 'em and eat 'em! They taste best eaten ASAP, so get to it! And as always, ENJOY. 🙂