Our vegan au gratin potato recipe is SUPER easy and only requires a few simple ingredients. We used an easy cashew based parmesan to replace the dairy cheese in the original recipe and a simple mixture of apple cider vinegar and dairy free milk creates the most perfect vegan buttermilk you’ll ever imagine. These easy vegan scalloped potatoes are the BEST oil free and gluten free side dish to for your holiday dinner. They taste just like the creamy potato bakes we grew up with but completely plant-based and healthy!
This post contains affiliate links. As Amazon Associates, we earn a small commission from qualifying purchases (at no cost to you). We are also affiliates of wine.com and may earn a commission if you choose to purchase through our links. Click here to read our full policy about affiliate links. Thank you for shopping our affiliate links, as it helps us keep the free vegan recipes coming your way!
Looking for a last-minute side-dish for your holiday seitan ham?
We soooo have your back with these heavenly (and omnivore-approved) Vegan Au Gratin Potatoes!
This recipe really hits a soft spot in my heart. It’s a veganized version of the Au Gratin Potatoes my mom always made for holiday and fancy dinners growing up.
So, naturally, this has been on my “Recipes to Veganize” list for quite some time because I knew there was no way I was going the rest of my life without those delicious potatoes again!
Click here to Pin this recipe for later.
Ingredients in Dairy Free Scalloped Potatoes
You only need a few simple ingredients to make this awesome dairy free potato bake – all of them are gluten free, oil free, and, obviously, VEGAN! (Remember, you can find the full recipe in the recipe card at the bottom of this post.)
- Russet potatoes – Big russet potatoes work best for this vegan potatoes au gratin recipe.
For the homemade cashew parmesan, you’ll need:
- Unroasted cashews
- Nutritional yeast
- Garlic and onion powder
- Sea salt and ground black pepper
- Lemon pepper seasoning
And for the easy dairy free buttermilk, you’ll need:
- Unsweetened plain non-dairy milk – Use any kind you like, but make sure it’s both unsweetened AND plain. Something with as neutral a taste as possible works best. Califia Unsweetened Plain Almond Milk, Elmhurst’s Unsweetened Cashew Milk, and Chobani’s Zero Sugar Oat Milk are our top picks.
- Apple Cider Vinegar – White vinegar or rice vinegar could also work in a pinch!
How to Make These Vegan Au Gratin Potatoes
Our vegan au gratin potato recipe is SUPER easy to make.
First, you’ll make your dairy free buttermilk by mixing the non dairy milk and apple cider vinegar. Set it aside and let it do its thing! This adds such an incredible flavor to your finished potato bake.
Next, you’ll make your cashew parmesan by pulsing the cashews in a food processor a couple times until they’re all powdery. Then, add the rest of the spices to the food processor and pulse again until everything is combined.
Then, you’ll peel your potatoes. I know it’s a pain, but peeled potatoes work best for this. Then, slice them as thinly as you can. If you have a mandolin, use it!
And finally, you’ll layer everything in a casserole dish and bake it until the whole thing is one big creamy cheesy potato-y perfection.
The taste and texture of these vegan au gratin potatoes are SO ON POINT. You could probably serve this dish to your omnivore family without them even realizing it’s vegan! (We definitely have!)
More Healthy Vegan Potato Recipes:
- Dairy Free Roasted Garlic Mashed Potatoes
- Vegan Broccoli Ranch Twice Baked Potatoes
- Easy Roasted Potato Recipe
And when you make this, LET US KNOW! Rate the recipe and leave a comment below or tag @theplantpowercouple on Instagram because food is always more fun when we can all ogle the photos together, yes?
Easy Vegan Au Gratin Potatoes
Our au gratin potato recipe is SUPER easy and only requires a few ingredients. We used an easy homemade parmesean to replace the dairy cheese in the original recipe - it is downright DIVINE - and a simple mixture of ACV and non-dairy milk creates the most perfect vegan buttermilk you’ll ever imagine.
- 2 lb russet potatoes
For the parmesan:
- 1/2 cup raw cashews
- 3 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp lemon pepper seasoning
For the buttermilk:
- Start by making your buttermilk by combining your milk and vinegar in a mixing bowl. Set aside for 5 minutes.
- While you wait, make your parmesean: Add the cashews to your blender or food processor and pulse until they form a light powdery texture. Then, add the rest of the seasonings and pulse until combined.
- Next, heat your oven to 350F and grease a 8x11 casserole dish. Peel and thinly slice your potatoes. If you have a mandoline slicer, this is a great time to use it!
- Layer 1/3 of the potatoes on the bottom of the casserole dish. Pour 1/3 of the buttermilk over the potatoes, sprinkle with heapin 1/4 cup of the parmesean and a pinch of salt & pepper. Repeat this step two additional times.
- Cover the casserole dish and bake for 25 minutes. Remove the cover and bake an additional 20 minutes or until potatoes are cooked through and the sauce is niiiice and thick! Remove it from the oven, cover once more, and let it sit 10 minutes before removing the cover and serving. Enjoy!
We like to serve this dish next to our seitan ham recipe, but it’s a great side-dish for almost anything!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 245Total Fat: 6gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 276mgCarbohydrates: 40gFiber: 5gSugar: 4gProtein: 9g
Nutrition information is automatically calculated and may not always be accurate.
4 thoughts on “Easy Vegan Au Gratin Potatoes”