Bacon Bits can be vegan?! That’s right, they ba-can. In this post we’ll show you how easy it can be to find vegan bacony bits completely free of animal products. What to look for first to see if your favorite brand might be vegan. We’ll even tell you how to make your own homemade vegan bacon bits!
This post contains affiliate links. As Amazon Associates, we earn a small commission from qualifying purchases (at no cost to you). Click here to read our full policy about affiliate links. Thank you for shopping our affiliate links, as it helps us keep the free vegan recipes coming your way!
Delicious vegan bac’n bits. We love their flavor and crunchy texture in salads, wraps, and soups. And we eat them by the handful standing by the pantry, but we know we’re not alone in that.
We truly do love bacon bits around here. And it may surprise you to learn that quite a few bacon bit brands are actually vegan friendly.
In this post we’re going to answer some of your biggest bacon bit questions. We’ll also show you how to make your own “fake bacon bits” and offer some inspiring ways to use them.
Are Bacon Bits Vegan?
Traditional bacon bits fall under two categories: Real and artificial or imitation.
Real bacon bits are just that, real bacon.
Artificial bacon bits are a bacon-flavored product that contain no animal ingredients. They are often made from soy protein as the main ingredient and some food coloring and artificial flavors to give that taste of bacon.
Most “imitation” types of bac’n bits are vegan friendly. Always read ingredients of any brands of which you are uncertain.
What Bacon Bits Are Vegan?
You might be surprised by the amount of veggie bacon bits available at the grocery store and online. We’ve compiled a short list here, but there are plenty more in addition to this list.
You can also look for the words “imitation” or “flavored”. That’s a great place to start, then check the ingredients list to see if it’s a soy-based product .
Store-Bought Vegan Bacon Bits
- McCormick Bac’n Bits and Bac’n Pieces
- Bacos – the classic
- Badia Imitation Bacon Bits
- Great Value – these artificial bacon flavored pieces are available at Walmart
Available from Amazon
- It’s Delish – if you really like bacon bits, this 30 oz container from It’s Delish foods is for you!
- All Y’all’s Foods – Big and crunchy vegan bacon bits fit for the vegan diet and lifestyle.
Where to Buy Vegan Bacon Bits
You can usually find imitation bacon bits near the salad dressings in the condiment aisle of your local grocery store.
Furthermore, some stores have special sections for vegan foods, so you can check there as well. If your local supermarket doesn’t carry them, you can always order them online.
How to Make Your Own Vegan Bacon Bits
We actually love making our own homemade bacon bits. And it might surprise you how easy it is!
- You can cook up any vegan bacon and cut it to small pieces before or after cooking to make delicious easy vegan bacon bits. We prefer something like Lightlife bacon for this.
- Use what the pros use. Textured vegetable protein. TVP mixed and soaked with maple syrup, liquid smoke, and some soy sauce or coconut aminos will give you a great bacon flavor. Then, place it in a thin layer on a parchment paper lined baking sheet and bake for 20-25 minutes at around 325°F, shaking or stirring every five minutes until, finally, you achieve the texture of real bacon bits.
- You can also make any crispy vegan bacon recipe like our Rice Paper Bacon and crumble it up to use as bacon bits.
- Lastly, our Coconut Bacon Salt can also be used like a finer type of bacon bits.
You can store your homemade bacon bits in an airtight container to give them a longer shelf life.
How to Use Imitation Bacon Bits
Use imitation bacon bits the same way you would use regular bacon bits.
Then expand your imagination a little. Don’t just use these delish imitation bacon bits in salads and on baked potatoes. In addition to those ideas, try them on sauteed green beans, in white bean soup, etc.
Here’s some great ways we love to use them:
- Chickpea Bacon Ranch Wrap – Our vegan take on the classic wrap. This easy no-cook vegan wrap recipe is so fresh and flavorful! Packed with ingredients like fresh basil, sun-dried tomatoes, and vegan bacon bits, it’s perfect for a plant-based summer lunch. Furthermore, it only takes about 15 minutes from start to finish.
- Vegan Hash Brown Casserole – This vegan hash brown casserole dish is an easy recipe and great for a weekend breakfast or brunch. It’s also great served as a side for a holiday breakfast or dinner. Vegan, dairy-free, gluten-free, egg-free, plant-based, and meatless, this glorious casserole may also be the perfect recipe
- Coconut Bacon Pancakes – Coconut bacon pancakes are the best fluffy vegan pancake recipe. The plant-based bacon in this recipe creates the perfect blend of sweet and savory flavors.
- Healthy Broccoli Salad – This delicious vegan broccoli salad is the perfect side dish for any summer party or just any warm summer evening. It has a little sweetness and a lot of crunch, it’s completely customizable to your taste, and it is so easy to make. You don’t even need to turn on your stove!
- Vegan Bacon Mac & Beer Cheese – The cheesy flavor and ooey gooey texture of this bacon mac & beer cheese will blow your mind! It’s easy to make and lastly, is finished off with a bacon bits topping!
Plant-Based Bacon Bits FAQs
Are McCormick bacon bits vegan?
Yes. All three flavors of McCormick’s Imitation Bac’n Bits are free of animal-derived ingredients and suitable for plant-based diets.
What are bacon bits made of?
Vegan-friendly bacon bits are usually made from soy in the form of textured soy flour, defatted soy flour, or TVP.
Are imitation bacon bits vegetarian?
Imitation bacon bits are vegetarian and vegan friendly. They are most often made using soy flour or TVP.
Are Great Value imitation bacon bits vegan?
Great Value Imitation Bacon Bits from Walmart are vegan.
Are Hormel’s bacon bits vegan?
Hormel uses real bacon for their bacon bits. They are not vegan.
Are Badia bacon bits vegan?
Yes. Badia bacon bits are a great plant-based alternative for vegans.
I hope you found this article informative and helpful. You can happily include bacon bits in your vegan lifestyle.
If you have any further questions, feel free to leave them in the comment section below.