This tofu scramble seasoning is eggs-actly what you need to give your vegan scrambles, quiches, casseroles, and more that traditional flavor we associate with egg dishes. You’ll want to make sure you always have some of this spice mix on hand in your pantry for when the breakfast or brunch need arises. And since this recipe is so quick and easy to make, you can!
This post contains affiliate links. As Amazon Associates, we earn a small commission from qualifying purchases (at no cost to you). Click here to read our full policy about affiliate links. Thank you for shopping our affiliate links, as it helps us keep the free vegan recipes coming your way!
If you love tofu scrambles like I do, this vegan egg flavor spice mix is going to make your mornings so much easier.
Say goodbye to millions of opened spice bottles and hello to this tofu scramble spice mix!
I know our spice blends are popular with many of you. And thank you. They are also extremely popular in our house too! We always have batches of our vegan bouillon powder, vegan cheese seasoning, red robin seasoning, and ranch seasoning on-hand in our spice cabinet.
And now we’re adding a breakfast-specific blend to the mix of different seasonings: tofu scramble seasoning! It makes the perfect scramble with an absolutely delicious flavor similar to “regular scrambled eggs”.
Why You’ll Love This Vegan Egg Flavor Seasoning
We think this is the best tofu scramble seasoning because:
- This recipe is going to make your morning scramble fast and easy
- It tastes legit and will take the flavor of your scrambled tofu up a notch.
- It’s a far more budget-friendly option than purchasing a scramble spice blend from Trader Joe’s or Whole Foods (and it only takes minutes to make!)
Ingredients in Vegan Egg Seasoning
You only need 6 spices to make this homemade vegan spice blend.
- Nutritional yeast – This adds a little color but mostly a nice nutty, savory flavor.
- Kala namak – This is the spice that makes tofu taste like eggs! It is key for this recipe. You can find this at your local Indian spice shop or, if you don’t have one near you, you can find it easily online.
- Turmeric – This gives the scramble that signature yellow color. Don’t skip this!
- Onion powder
- Garlic powder
- Ground black pepper – Omit or decrease the amount if you don’t like any spicy in your scramble, but I am a huge peppery egg fan!
Substitution Options for Tofu Egg Seasoning
If you don’t have or can’t tolerate one of the ingredients above, these are our best substitution tips. Remember: Substituting any of the ingredients may lead to a difference in the final product that is not always a delicious one. Let us know in the comments if you try any subs and how they work out for you!
For the onion powder: You may be able to use dehydrated minced onion. Just make sure you grind it down fully with the rest of the ingredients.
For the ground black pepper: Feel free to shake this up as you see fit. White pepper, cayenne pepper, and chipotle pepper could all be wonderful choices to spice things up.
How to Make Classic Scramble Seasoning
This homemade spice mix takes about 5 minutes to make, depending on how fast you are with measuring spoons.
Just add all the ingredients to a small food processor and pulse until fully combined and a powdery texture. That’s it!
How to Use Tofu Scramble Seasoning
Easy Vegan Tofu Scramble
The most common thing to do with this seasoning is to make a classic vegan breakfast scramble.
Here are simple instructions on how I make a basic tofu scramble the whole family will love:
- Drain and press your tofu block. You want to use a block of firm tofu or extra firm tofu.
- Heat 1-2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil to a non-stick skillet or pan on medium heat.
- Carefully crumble the firm or extra-firm tofu into the pan. Use a rubber spatula to break it up further so it looks like scrambled eggs texture. A potato masher can also help with this!
- Sprinkle 1 Tbsp vegan scramble seasoning onto the tofu as it cooks. Stir to coat completely and cook, stirring often, for about 7-10 minutes.
- Then, sprinkle 1/2 Tbsp more scramble seasoning, stir to coat, and cook tofu another minute or two.
- Finally, remove from heat and taste the scramble. If you want more flavor to suit your personal taste, stir in another 1/2 Tbsp seasoning at the end of cooking before serving.
Serve with breakfast potatoes and vegan meats of your choice. We like our rice paper bacon or walnut-based vegan scrapple! Or try it in breakfast burritos with roasted bell pepper, black beans, and some hot sauce.
How to Store Vegan Tofu Scramble Seasoning
This recipe makes enough seasoning for 5-10 tofu scrambles, depending on how much seasoning you use for each one!
Store leftover tofu scramble spice mix in an airtight jar with the rest of your spices. Stored properly, it should last up to 4 months.
Vegan Egg Flavor Seasoning FAQs
We’re going to answer some of your most commonly asked questions about egg flavoring in vegan food. If you have any other questions, please feel free to ask in the comment section below.
The answer is Kala Namak. A lot of people know this as “Indian Black Salt” or “Himalayan Black Salt”. It is a sodium chloride based salt (like sea salt) with sulfurous compounds due to it being derived from volcanic rock salt. It really does taste and smell just like eggs!
Kala namak smells and tastes like eggs because of the sulfuric compounds present in the volcanic rock salt.
Kala namak is the seasoning/salt to use if you’re looking for a great way to give your food a very eggy taste and smell. In this recipe, we’ve combined that with turmeric for color, onion powder and garlic powder for extra savory vibes, and black pepper for a hint of spice.
The best way to replicate an eggy flavor in vegan foods is by using kala namak, aka “Indian black salt”. It is used widely in Indian cooking and is the secret ingredient to make the best vegan tofu scramble. It’s the star of our vegan egg seasoning blend along with turmeric for color, onion powder, garlic powder, nutritional yeast, and black pepper.
More Savory Vegan Breakfast Recipes
I hope you enjoy this tofu scramble seasoning and that it makes your mornings so much easier. It really has for me. I love when I can wake up and make my favorite breakfast without having to measure out a million different spices.
When you make it, would you do me a favor? Leave a star rating and comment review on the recipe below! This helps more people find our tasty vegan recipes, and we love connecting over your kitchen adventures.
Until next time. Enjoy!
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 2.5 Tbsp kala namak
- 1.5 Tbsp turmeric
- 1.5 Tbsp onion powder
- 1 Tbsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp ground black pepper
- Add all the ingredients to a small food processor and pulse until fully combined and a powdery texture.
- For tofu scramble: Use 1-2 Tbsp for 1 (16-oz) block of tofu. I like to start with 1 Tbsp, cook a little, taste, and decide to add more if desired.
Serving Size:2 Tbsp seasoning
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 47Total Fat: 1gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 8mgCarbohydrates: 8gFiber: 3gSugar: 0gProtein: 4g
Nutrition information is automatically calculated and may not always be accurate.