Hey there and happy Friday, plant power people! What kind of shenanigans do you have planned for this weekend? Will you be partying until dawn or is it more of a “Netflix and chill” as you stuff your face with something delicious kind of schedule? Yea, us too. 😉
But seriously, is there anything better than snuggling up on the couch in the middle of a blizzard surrounded by the loves of your life (cats + Terrence in my case…the order is not important) whilst feeding your body – nay, your soul – with something warm and decadent and absolutely delicious as you check in with your favorite TV or movie characters? I think not.
Maybe it’s the adult in me (ha! Didn’t know there was one, did you?) or perhaps I just love Terrence so darn much that the best place to be is wherever he is….
Yea, let’s go with that. 😉
ANYWAY, since we’ve now established what we’re going to do this weekend, let’s get to the details:
What will you be watching?!
For us, it’s Downton Abbey. We have become SO unbelievably obsessed with this show lately. From the accents to the history to the humor to that 1920’s spirit of revolution and a changing world, it is a perfect match for a quirky pair like us.
One of my favorite aspects of this show is the the meal ideas and inspiration it’s given me. For one thing – bedside biscuit jars. Yes. Please. I don’t know why I hadn’t thought of this first. OF COURSE I want to be greeted by a jar of warm biscuits upon waking – how did they know?! Man, they get me.
Second – of course – is this idea of a daily “tea time” in late afternoon which is basically (in my mind) the fourth meal of the day. Genius, I tell you.
And oddly enough, the idea of tea time is what brings me to my final question:
What are you going to eat?!
If you’re anything like me, you’ve been asking yourself this question all week, and I have just the answer for you, friends:
with Cranberry Chia Jam.
Again, if you’re like me, your mouth is now watering and you are paying attention. Good. Because these babies are worthy of your time and adoration. They are the PERFECT late afternoon snack and are necessary if you’re thinking about implementing an afternoon tea type of situation (which we definitely recommend). Although, I could probably eat these all day long. Yes, they’re that good.
We used some leftover cranberry chia jam that we posted earlier this week, and it worked beautifully. Whilst the chia jam is super easy to make and could be made with any berries you have in the fridge, if you’d like to use your favorite store-bought jam, go for it! Just get these in your belly as soon as possible – right out of the oven.
Along with the chia jam, we also used a homemade egg-replacer for this recipe – the miraculous “flax egg“. If you’d like to learn more about vegan egg replacements in baked goods or just want a cool vegan baking substitution chart to hang on your fridge (fo’ free), fill out the form below, and we’ll send you ours to download!
Now, what are you waiting for? Your weekend is planned. Your Netflix snacks are all lined-up. So, go grab your comfiest of comfy pajamas and a snuggly blanket and get to it! No slacking. 😉
Plant Power Couple
Yield: 10 - 12 rolls
Serving Size: As many as you can fit in your belly.
These jam-filled cinnamon rolls are ridiculously easy to make - requiring little active time - and absolutely delicious. Great for an afternoon tea or healthier breakfast indulgence.
1 hrPrep Time:
30 minCook Time:
1 hr, 30 Total Time:
- 1/4 cup unrefined coconut oil
- 3/4 cup non-dairy milk (We used our homemade oat milk.)
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 2 tsp active dry yeast
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup raw sugar (+ 1 Tbsp for the filling - optional)
- 1 flax egg (1 Tbsp ground flax seed + 2 Tbsp water)
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 cup jam of choice (We used our recipe for cinnamon cranberry chia jam - amazing.)
- 1 Tbsp cinnamon
- First, make your flax egg. With a fork, whisk the flaxmeal and water in a small bowl and set aside.
- In a small pot, melt the non-dairy milk and coconut oil.
- Whilst that is melting, combine 1 cup whole wheat flour, 1 cup all purpose flour, yeast, sugar, and salt in a large mixing bowl.
- Add the flax egg, water, and the milk & coconut oil mixture to your mixing bowl and stir with a large wooden spoon.
- Stir in another 1/2 cup of the whole wheat flour and get in there with your hands to knead the dough. Continue to add small amounts of flour just until the dough is no longer sticking to your hands. Be careful not to add too much flour. You don't want dry rolls! 🙂
- Cover your mixing bowl with a damp towel for ten minutes.
- Turn the dough onto a lightly floured surface and roll it into a 15 x 10 inch rectangle. If you feel the dough is getting too dry, feel free to sprinkle a very small amount of water on it and spread it around with your fingers.
- Get your cup of jam out and stir in 1 Tbsp cinnamon and the optional 1 Tbsp raw sugar. Spread this mixture on your rectangle of dough evenly.
- Then, roll the dough tightly, starting at the bottom and working your way up. When you finish, cut the large roll into 10-12 mini rolls.
- Place each mini roll in your lightly-oiled baking dish (cut side up) and cover with that damp towel again for 30 minutes.
- In the meantime, preheat your oven to 325 F.
- After the 30 minutes are up, cover the rolls with tin foil or parchment paper (something to keep in the moisture) and bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove the cover and bake another 10 minutes. Enjoy!
Feel free to use your favorite jams and jellies to make the most of what you have in the house!