We’re definitely not the first food blog to post a recipe for coconut bacon, and I doubt we will be the last. However, I still meet people on a daily basis (both vegans and non-vegans) who have no idea this delicious creation exists, so here we are!
Because NO ONE should have to live without bacon…not even vegans. After all, the desire to save animals from unnecessary harm doesn’t change our taste in food, and lucky for us there are about a billion ways to make this crispy smoky treat that don’t include someone having to die! It’s a pretty awesome freakin’ world we live in, isn’t it? 😉
This coconut bacon is awesome in tofu scrambles and pasta dishes, on salads and wraps, and even straight from the pan – just try to resist; I dare you.
You should go make this coconut bacon RIGHT NOW. 🙂 Then, you should tell us all the tantalizing ways you chose to use it by tagging #PlantPowerCouple on Facebook. Enjoy!
- 2.5 Tbsp liquid smoke
- 1.5 Tbsp maple syrup
- 1.5 Tbsp soy sauce (or Bragg's)
- 1 Tbsp water
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 cups unsweetened coconut flakes
- In a small bowl, whisk together the liquid smoke, maple syrup, soy sauce, water, and paprika.
- Pour mixture over coconut flakes and stir until every flake is coated.
- Preheat your oven to 325F and line a baking sheet with parchment.
- Pour coconut flakes onto baking sheet and spread out evenly with a large wooden spoon.
- Bake for 20 minutes, stopping to flip the coconut every 5 minutes (VERY important!). 🙂
- Remove from the oven and enjoy on salads, tofu scrambles, pasta dishes, etc.