So, last night we celebrated a really awesome occasion – my brother’s college graduation. I’ll skip the whole sappy story about how proud I am of him for all the hard work he’s done and how I choked up when I saw him walk across the stage and hug his professors with a big smile on his face because I know – if he were ever to read this – he’d just roll his eyes at my awkwardness. But Jake, if you’re reading this, I am REALLY freaking proud of you. I didn’t do a very good job of skipping that sappy story, did I? Oh well, moving on…to the food…
As per usual, I took this occasion as a golden opportunity to make some damn delicious food – enter the star of this post (sorry, Jake): CUPCAKES.
Not just any cupcakes, these cupcakes are inspired by my brother’s childhood favorites. Every year for his birthday, my mom would make him chocolate cake with peanut butter frosting. OMG, that frosting. I could eat an entire bowl of it and the endure the sugar shock with a smile on my face. And I must say, our veganized version is just as addictive.
These would be perfect for a birthday party, family gathering, or just a rainy Sunday afternoon. The frosting can get a bit runny if set out for too long (especially in warmer temperatures), but that just sounds like another reason to eat more cupcakes…or perhaps set them in the fridge for later. You know, whatever floats your boat. 😉
Do you have a favorite childhood recipe you’d like to see us veganize? Leave a comment or join us in our free FB community and let us know!
- 3 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 2 cups raw sugar
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 5 oz. melted coconut oil
- 2 cups cold water
- 1.5 cups peanut butter
- 1/2 cup coconut oil (chilled until hardened)
- 3 cups organic powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- pinch of sea salt
- Preheat your oven to 350F (175C) and line a muffin tin with cupcake liners.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, sugar, and salt.
- Make a well in the center of the bowl and add the vinegar, vanilla extract, oil, and water. Use a large wooden spoon to stir the ingredients together until they are well-combined.
- Fill each cupcake liner to the 3/4 mark and bake for 15-20 minutes.
- When the cupcakes are baking, make your frosting: Use a hand (or stand) mixer to cream together the peanut butter and chilled coconut oil. When fully combined, add the remainder of the ingredients and beat for another 2 minutes on high. Set this in the fridge until you're ready to use it.
- Allow cupcakes to cool and apply a THICK layer of frosting to them! Leave them in the refrigerator until ready to serve.