Let’s make crackers! But not just any crackers; let’s make VEGAN BACON CRACKERS!
One day a few years ago, I was hankerin’ for a snack. As one does in these situations, I promptly made my way to the kitchen, only to open the fridge to find nothing but a couple sad-looking veggies and some leftover homemade pie crust. 🤷🏻
As the hanger in me surged, I opened the pantry to hopefully find something, anything, to satisfy my cravings and saw we had some leftover coconut bacon salt. Remembering the leftover pie crust in the fridge, I thought, “bacon crackers”. 💡
I immediately got out the pie crust, rolled it flat, sprinkled it with bacon salt, and set it in the oven wondering if I was on the verge of creating the greatest snack known to man or just delaying myself sustenance even longer…always a dangerous game.
Well, it turns out the waiting was worth it. When those bad boys came out of the oven, I barely gave them five minutes to cool down before inhaling them. The smell, the taste, the buttery fall-apart-in-your-mouth texture. It was quite a serendipitous moment…but wait, I’m getting ahead of myself. Let’s talk about how you’re going to make these vegan bacon crackers…
How to Make Vegan Bacon Crackers
First, you can totally make these crackers with a pre-made pie crust (many store and conventional brands are *accidentally* vegan, so check your ingredients), but if you want to have some fun and make your own, we’ve included a pretty easy recipe, adapted from our vegan broccoli cheddar hot pockets that we LOVE.
If you’ve made pie crust before, the method should be rather familiar to you: Mix your flours, cut in your (vegan) butter, stir in some cold water, and knead! From there, you’ll just roll it all out, sprinkle with the most heavenly of bacon-flavored salts, and bake it to crispy, buttery, perfection.
These vegan bacon crackers are great dipped into hummus, cozy stews, and warm dips. They’re also killer with some vegan cheese (like this feta, YAAAS). But honestly, they’re so crazy flavorful, you’ll probably just want to eat them all by themselves.
Not to mention, if and when you make these for friends, not only will they be SHOCKED to hear they contain zero animal products, they will also give you major props because, like, who makes their own homemade crackers?!
You do. You make your own homemade crackers. And they are damn delicious. Look at you go!
Other yummy vegan snack ideas:
If and when you make these vegan buttery bacon crackers, we totally wanna celebrate your awesomeness with you! You can rate the recipe and leave a comment below or tag us in your amaaazing vegan bacon cracker photos on IG to be featured in our Stories! We’re @theplantpowercouple with the “the”. 😋 Enjoy!
Vegan bacon crackers made with coconut bacon and so buttery they almost melt in your mouth! They're a fun snack dipped into hummus or stews but also super flavorful and delicious all on their own.
30 minPrep Time:
15 minCook Time:
45 minTotal Time:
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 2/3 cup vegan butter (or REFINED coconut oil), cubed and chilled
- 1/3 cup cold water
- 2.5 Tbsp coconut bacon salt
- PREP: Preheat your oven to 375F, flip a large cookie sheet upside down, and line it with parchment paper. Then, if you haven't already, cube your vegan butter and place it in the freezer to chill.*
- MAKE THE DOUGH: Whisk the flours, sea salt, and pepper together in a bowl. Cut in frozen vegan butter with a fork or pastry cutter until a rough, shaggy dough is formed. Add 1/3 cup cold water, stir, and then use your hands to bring the dough together in a ball. It may seem like it's too dry at first, but knead it for about 90 seconds before you add more water. If the dough still isn't coming together, add 1 Tbsp cold water at a time until it does.
- Transfer the dough to your upside-down, parchment-lined baking sheet and use your hands to form the dough into a rectangle. Use your rolling pin to carefully roll the dough out until it is as thin as you can get it without breaking it. This part is super important, so it's worth it to take your time!
- When the dough is completely rolled out, sprinkle the coconut bacon salt evenly on top and gently press it into the dough with your rolling pin or a spatula. From here, use a pizza cutter or knife to cut the dough into squares and place in your preheated oven for 15-20 minutes. Because the dough is so thin, be sure to check 'em every 5 minutes to make sure they don't burn.
- Carefully remove your crackers from the oven and allow them to cool a bit before eating them. They will crisp up as they cool. Enjoy!
*We like to use the Earth Balance brand buttery sticks for this recipe because they're so easy to measure and cube, just like the dairy butter we grew up using! If vegan butter isn't your thing, you can totally sub refined coconut oil. Just be sure to let it harden and cube it as best you can (just like you would with the butter). Oh, and be sure to use REFINED coconut oil, otherwise you'll get coconut-flavored crackers.