Have you tried walnut meat yet?
We’ve been making it for years, and it’s incredible stuff. I’m not usually a huge fan of walnuts, but the texture and flavor they take on when ground up with the right spices and herbs is out of this world.
We especially love making walnut meat in the summertime because you don’t even have to turn on the oven! Plus, it’s easy peasy to make: soak your walnuts, throw everything in a food processor, pulse a couple times, and EAT.
The walnut meat recipe we’re going to share with you today is a little different from others we’ve seen out there that are usually seasoned to taste like ground beef. This is the one we use for that. We love it on tacos and nachos and even in ravioli, but one day – when our spice cabinet was running a little low – we realized if we could make a beef-style walnut meat, we could totally make a sausage-style one.
And thus, we got to work.
Actually, it didn’t take much work, 😅 just a few swapped seasonings and bing, bang, boom, the sausage walnut meat was born!
So, what can you do with this sausage-style walnut meat?
I am SO glad you asked. We love it on:
- ALL. THE. PASTA! 🍝 Stuff it into lasagna, toss it with penne, add it to baked ziti or homemade ravioli! Seriously ALL the pasta.
- PIZZA! 🍕 From a classic sausage and pepper pie to a less traditional pesto pizza, this sausage-style walnut meat is going to be your new favorite pizza topping.
- Two words: Breakfast. Tacos. 🌮 Ohhh, or mixed into a tofu quiche. Or hell, just thrown right into your morning scramble next to a mountain of breakfast potatoes! Okay, that was more than two words, but you catch my drift – this is a breakfast game-changer!
If and when you give this walnut meat recipe a try, we’d love to hear what you thought and how you used it! Leave a comment and rate it below or tag us on Instagram to be featured on our Stories! We’re @theplantpowercouple with the ‘the’. 😉
Yield: 1 cup walnut meat
This sausage-style walnut meat is so easy to make, has a GREAT texture and unbeatable flavor. We love it on everything from pizzas to pasta dishes, salads to breakfast tacos!
15 minPrep Time:
15 minTotal Time:
5 based on 1 review(s)
- 1 cup raw walnuts (soaked in cool water for 20 minutes)
- 2 Tbsp soy sauce (use tamari for GF)
- 1 Tbsp olive oil (omit if you avoid oil)
- 1 tsp liquid smoke
- 2.5 tsp fennel seeds
- 2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp celery salt
- 1/4 tsp smoked paprika
- Drain and rinse the walnuts and add them to a food processor with the remainder of the ingredients.
- Pulse the mixture 6-7 times or until the walnuts are well-combined with the spices and they look like ground meat. Stop to scrape down the sides as needed.
- Enjoy on pizzas, pasta dishes, tofu scramble, etc.!