Hey there! Here we are again with another killer Super Bowl recipe. I know I say this a lot, but we are SO PUMPED to share this one with you: vegan taquitos, anyone?
This was one of the options we offered to our seasonal catering clients on our Super Bowl Snack Trays last year. To say they were a huge hit might be an understatement. We got so many compliments!
And I totally understand why. These little tortillas are filled with vegan queso and a spicy, marinated jackfruit, rolled up and deep (or air) fried to crispy perfection.
Have you worked with jackfruit yet?! If you don’t know what I mean, jackfruit is a great animal-free meat that has a pulled texture and, much like tofu, can be flavored however you like. You can find it canned at Asian grocery markets for a really great price, but even places like Whole Foods and Trader Joe’s carry it now.
Of course, there’s always Amazon if you would rather stay home in your cozy PJs. Yea, you know who you are. I feel like we really get each other. 🙂
*Pro tip: Make sure you get the jackfruit canned in water or brine and not syrup, as that will greatly alter the taste.
Now, let’s talk about this queso: OH EM GEE, you guys. It’s so easy to make and so tasty you’ll want to eat it with a spoon! Actually, it’s healthy enough that I can justify eating it with a spoon. We’re good. 😉 Its base is silken tofu with added white beans for some texture, so it holds together well in the tortillas.
Bonus: This recipe will leave you with extra queso which is killer for dipping taquitos, chips, and again, spoons.
So, that leaves us with one question: Should you air-fry or deep fry your vegan taquitos?
Ohhhh, man. I know this is a tough one.
On the one hand, the air-fried taquitos are rather kickass, but they still don’t completely measure up to the puffy crispness of a deep-fried taquito. On the other hand, you won’t feel as heavy or bloated after eating the air fried taquitos as you would the deep fried ones.
I say if you’re looking for a healthy and still super tasty, crispy snack, go for the air-fried. But if you’re taking these to a Super Bowl party where you want to really impress the omnivores in your life with your kickass vegan dish, go the deep fried route. Of course, a mix of the two isn’t a bad idea either. 😉
I hope you make and LOVE these vegan taquitos.
If you do give them a try, I have a feeling you’re going to be just as in lurrrrrv with them as we are, and we can’t wait to hear about it! Tag us in your photos on Instagram (we’re @theplantpowercouple, with the ‘the’) or Facebook (just Plant Power Couple there).
Yield: About 18 taquitos
- 7 oz silken tofu
- 1 cup white beans, drained
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 chipotle pepper (from a can in adobo sauce)
- 1 large clove garlic
- 1/4 cup unsweetened plain non-dairy milk
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1.5 tsp white miso paste
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 batch jackfruit carnitas
- small flour tortillas
- oil for frying (canola and vegetable both work, omit if you're oil-free and using an air fryer)
- First, make the queso by adding all the ingredients to a blender or food processor and blending until smooth. You want the queso to be thick enough to spread on the tortillas. If it's too thin, add more beans. If it's too thick, add more non-dairy milk.
- If you're deep frying, heat the oil in your fryer or deep pot to 375F. If you're frying on the stove, make sure the oil is at least 2-3 inches deep.
- Lay a small tortilla flat and spread 1/2 Tbsp queso on it. Then, sprinkle about 1 Tbsp jackfruit on top and roll the tortilla tightly from one end to the other.
- If you're deep-frying: Add 2-3 taquitos to the fryer oil at a time. Do this carefully and place them seam-down. Fry for 3 minutes. Then carefully remove and drain on a paper towel.
- If you're air-frying: Spray each taquito and your fry basket lightly with oil (skip this step if you're oil-free) and gently place 2-3 of them seam-down in the air-fryer basket. Set the temp to 370F and cook for 5 minutes. Flip and cook another 5 minutes and enjoy!