Remember on Monday when I said it’s a safe bet we’d be back with more uses for those soft pretzel rolls?
Well, here we are!
We are completely obsessed with this potato-carrot cheese sauce that’s making the rounds recently, and I’ll take any excuse I can get to eat a big bowl of it with a spoon. Who wouldn’t?!
The idea to use it to create a beer cheese soup came from the our amazing friend Kat for which we are very grateful! She’s a foodie genius and a kickass vegan warrior woman, so if you’re not already following her on IG, go do that! 🙂 She is @katmeowvegan.
And I am utterly convinced these soft pretzel bowls were MADE to hold this cheesy glory. They’re soul mates… damn. delicious. soul mates. If they got married and invited me to their wedding, I would cry at the sheer beauty of two foods so meant-to-be…
This is the part where – when Terrence reads this – he’ll look at me with a furrowed brow and go, “This is getting weird,” so I’ll just redirect myself now…
My advice to you today is to make this soup. You won’t regret it. And when you DO make this soup (because I know you can’t live without it), tag #PlantPowerCouple on Facebook and Instagram, so we can marvel at your glorious cheesy vegan soup creations. Enjoy! 🙂
Serving Size: 4 bowls of soup
15 minPrep Time:
20 minCook Time:
35 minTotal Time:
- 3 medium potatoes (around 550 grams), peeled and diced
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 onion, peeled and diced
- 2 Tbsp yellow mustard
- 2 Tbsp German mustard (or any spicy mustard)
- 1/3 cup sunflower oil (olive oil works too!)
- 1 Tbsp homemade veggie bouillon
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 8 oz. beer
- 4 soft pretzel buns
- Add 6-8 cups of water to a large pot and bring to a boil. Add potatoes, carrots, and onions.
- Keep at a low boil - covered - for about 10 minutes (or until soft).
- While the vegetables are boiling, add mustards, oil, bullion cube, garlic, nutritional yeast, salt, and pepper to your food processor.
- When veggies are finished boiling, strain them over a bowl to reserve the water.
- Add strained veggies to your food processor along with 1 cup of the reserved water.
- Blend until smooth.
- Add the contents of the food processor to the pot once more and pour in the 8 Oz. Of beer.
- Bring to a boil and let simmer for 7-10 minutes. If the soup becomes too thick for your taste, feel free to add a little more of the reserved water until it reaches your desired consistency.
- Get out your soft pretzel bun and use a sharp knife to cut a triangle into the top.
- Scoop the bread out with a spoon to create space for the soup.
- Pour delicious cheesy soupy goodness into soft pretzel bowl, sprinkle with paprika (optional), and enjoy!