When I was growing up, my Nana and I loved going to the tea room by her house. It was a little shop in the back of a giant craft store with gorgeous china cups, plates, and tea pots, all with a different pattern. It was there that I first encountered the heavenly glory that is scones with jam and clotted cream. And now, I’ve made my own vegan version. May I present to you: Blueberry Scones and Vegan Clotted Cream!
For those of you who may not know what clotted cream is and are a little turned off by the name, I get it! It’s definitely something that has to be tasted to be appreciated. The traditional process involves heating milk at a low temperature in the oven overnight, then cooling it and scooping off the cream on top.
It may not sound like much, but when paired with a fluffy scone and some fresh strawberry jam, it’s an unbelievable combination.
This recipe for vegan clotted cream takes a lot less time than the traditional method but tastes every bit as delicious. The minute I bit into it, I was transported back to those afternoon teas with my Nana. It’s crazy the power taste has over our memories, right? I love it.
And the scones! Waaahooo! I was so happy with how these turned out, and so was T. My mother-in-law, who is very serious about her tea, even raved about their delicious-ness! Plus, they were so damn easy to make. The process is more similar to making cookies rather than making bread.
These blueberry scones with vegan clotted cream are also killer topped with fresh strawberry jam. We love this recipe because it’s super healthy and takes almost no time to make.
So, schedule some time in the near future to give these scones and vegan clotted cream a try. I suggest pairing them with a Downton Abbey marathon and pot of tea. Does that sound as exciting to you as it does to me? I swear I was born to be an old lady.
If you need me, I’ll be in my rocking chair wearing a shawl, sipping tea and chowing down on these blueberry scones and vegan clotted cream. Aka – my happy place. 🙂
When you do make these blueberry scones and vegan clotted cream, let us know!
Serving Size: 1 scone
25 minPrep Time:
20 minCook Time:
45 minTotal Time:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup raw sugar (+ 2 Tbsp for sprinkling)
- 1 cup + 2 Tbsp soy milk
- 1 cup frozen blueberries
- 1 Tbsp melted coconut oil
- 1/4 cup vegan butter
- 4 oz. vegan cream cheese
- 1/4 cup raw cashews, soaked
- 2 Tbsp water
- pinch of sea salt
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 2-3 Tbsp powdered sugar (optional, if you want a sweeter cream)
- Preheat your oven to 400F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Make the scones: In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients, add the milk and stir, then stir in blueberries. It will be a rough dough.
- Turn it onto a floured surface and knead lightly until just combined.
- Use your hands to form a 2-inch thick disc and cut into 8 wedges. Place the wedges on your baking sheet.
- Brush each scone with coconut oil and sprinkle with remaining 2 Tbsp raw sugar.
- Bake the scones at 400F for 18-20 minutes.
- While your scones bake, make the clotted cream: Add all the ingredients to a high-powered blender or food processor and blend until smooth, stopping to scrape the sides as needed.
- Allow the scones to cool a bit. Then, slice them and top with the clotted cream and a dollap of jam . Enjoy!