Get this vegan chicken stew recipe on your weekly meal plan STAT. It makes for the perfect cozy dinner during the colder months because it’s easy to make with common ingredients, methods, and hidden veggies too!
I have something for you, and I think you’re gonna love it.
Behold, my newest recipe obsession: Vegan Chicken Stew. OMG. I can’t stop staring at it, or eating it, or stirring it around in the pot as I reheat leftovers and gaze longingly at all that warm comforting deliciousness.
Making this Vegan Chicken Stew
Oh, and did I mention the BEST part?! That creamy sauce is made from – drumroll, please – CAULIFLOWER! A big bowl of warmth, comfort, AND a massive dose of veggies? You guys know that has my name written allllllll over it.
Also, this vegan chicken stew is another kickass way to use our homemade vegan bouillon powder. The flavor it adds to this dish is so perfect I could scream with joy! And I have, let’s be real. 😋
To make this dish animal-free, we added our own homemade chicken-style seitan, but feel free to use whatever store-bought chik’n you’d like (check the freezer section at your local grocery store for brands like Gardein and Beyond Meat). We are also huge fans of soy curls for this recipe because they’re the perfect texture for vegan chicken stew! It would even be great without any vegan chicken at all, whatever your preference!
Other Cozy Vegan Dinners You’d Love:
- Vegan Chicken(less) Tetrazzini
- Creamy Spinach Blender Soup
- The BEST Vegan Chicken(less) Noodle Soup
- Homestyle Vegetable Soup
We hope you’ll try this cozy, delicious vegan chicken stew and know you’ll fall in love with it just like we have! If and when you do give it a go, we’d love for you to rate it and leave a comment below or tag us in your tasty photos on Instagram. We’re @theplantpowercouple with the “the”.
20 minPrep Time:
40 minCook Time:
1 hrTotal Time:
- 1 cup raw cashews (soaked in hot water for 20 minutes)
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 small yellow or white onion, roughly chopped
- 4-5 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1 head cauliflower, roughly chopped and stem removed
- 4 cups water
- 1/4 cup veggie bouillon powder
- 2 cups chopped vegan chik'n (such as soy curls , chicken-style seitan, etc.)
- 2 large carrots, diced - small cubes
- 1 large potato, diced - small cubes
- 1.5 cups frozen corn
- 1 cup frozen green peas
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Add the olive oil to a large pot and turn heat to medium. When hot, add the onion, garlic, and a large pinch of salt and saute for about 5 minutes or until fragrant.
- Pour in 2 cups of the water along with the cauliflower. Cover and allot it to cook for 15-20 minutes or until the cauliflower is fork-tender.
- Whilst the cauliflower cooks, make your cashew cream: Drain your soaked cashews and add them to a blender with 3/4 cup water. Blend until smooth and creamy. Then, set aside until you're ready to use it.
- When the cauliflower is tender, use an immersion blender to blend until smooth. Then, add the remainder of your ingredients (including the cashew cream and remaining 2 cups of water). Stir to combine and cover/cook for another 15-20 minutes or until veggies (especially those taters) are fork-tender.
- Taste and adjust seasonings as desired. If your stew is too thin, allow to cook a little longer uncovered. If it's too thick for your taste, add some more veg broth. We like to serve this dish with some freshly-baked puff pastry and a big ol' spoon. Enjoy!
To make this recipe gluten-free, be sure to use a gluten-free vegan chik'n such as soy curls .
To make this recipe oil-free, saute the onions and garlic in some water rather than olive oil.