Calling all Potterheads and Dumbledorks: We’re making hot vegan butterbeer!
For those of you muggles (non-magic persons) out there, butterbeer is the preferred drink of house elves, students visiting Hogsmeade, and Hogwarts professors alike. It’s a drink most often served warm with a slight alcoholic content that tastes like creamy, hot, liquid butterscotch filling the drinker with love and happiness.
I remember reading about butterbeer as a kid and falling in love with a drink I’d never had before. I don’t know how she does it, but JKR always has a way to write stories that make you feel like you are right there experiencing what is written with the character. This was the moment my quest to make my butterbeer dreams a reality began.
Of course, it’s been about 15 years since I first read about this magical drink, but better late than never, right? And now we have the extra challenge of making it vegan butterbeer. Although, if I can be honest with you, it wasn’t much of a challenge at all!
Let’s make vegan butterbeer!
First, the cream soda. Pour a liter of that stuff into a pot with some cashews and bring it to a boil. Throwing the cashews in with the soda will soften them up, so we don’t have to spend hours soaking them. Score!
Then, throw in some vegan butter and a few butterscotch hard candies and stir until they’re melted. I just buy the cheap dollar store candies that are *accidentally* vegan. A lot of brands are though, so just check your ingredients. Butterscotch Dum Dums work too!
Finally, blend the whole thing up in your Vitamix or other high-powered blender and pour it into a mug with an optional, but encouraged 😉 shot of whiskey. Top it with vegan whipped cream, crushed butterscotch candies, and coconut sugar.
And bing, bang, boom! You’ve apparated to the Three Broomsticks for a mug with Harry, Ron, and Hermione.
You should totally make this vegan butterbeer for yourself and allll the Dumbledorks in your life! And maybe you should drink it whilst watching a Harry Potter movie. Or better yet, reading one of the books. 🤓
However you drink it, let us know! Rate the recipe and leave a comment below or ag us in your cozy photos on Instagram. If you’re not already following along, we’re @theplantpowercouple, with the “the”. Cheers!
Yield: 4 8-oz servings
This hot vegan butterbeer is easy to make and just as soul-warming as J.K. Rowling described it! It's just 4 ingredients, with the option of adding a splash of whiskey if you please.
10 minPrep Time:
10 minCook Time:
20 minTotal Time:
- 4 cups cream soda
- 1/3 cup raw cashews
- 2 Tbsp vegan butter
- 2-3 butterscotch candies*
- 2-4 oz whiskey (optional)
- vegan whipped cream
- crushed butterscotch candies
- coconut sugar
- Put the cream soda and cashews in a large pot. Cover and bring to a full boil.
- When boiling, remove the lid and add the vegan butter and butterscotch candies. Stir continuously until both the butter and candies are melted, about 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and pour this mixture into your Vitamix or other high-powered blender and blend on high for about two minutes. Remove the cap and let it sit for 5 minutes before replacing the cap and blending on high another minute.
- To serve: Get 4 10-oz mugs ready and fill each with 1/2 - 1 oz whiskey (optional, obvs). Split the butterbeer between the four mugs and top with vegan whipped cream, crushed butterscotch candies, and coconut sugar. Enjoy!
*Be sure to check the ingredients on your butterscotch hard candies, but many are "accidentally" vegan. Butterscotch Dum Dums work too!