Biscuits, man. Vegan biscuits.
You feel me? Good.
Let’s do this.
Making vegan biscuits is one of those things that completely alluded me up until a couple years ago. Making homemade biscuits? I mean who does that?!
Me, I do that. And you can too.
Here are a few simple tips for making killer vegan biscuits I’ve picked up over the years:
- Cube and freeze your vegan butter for a few minutes before you make your dough. This makes such a huuuuuge difference. We love to use these Earth Balance buttery sticks for this recipe because they’re tasty and super easy to measure, but any vegan butter you wanna use will work.
- Use fresh baking powder! Did you know baking powder loses some of its effectiveness after 3 months in the pantry? If yours is older than that and your baked goods are seriously falling flat, toss it in favor of a new one. It’s worth it, trust me! What a big improvement.
- Touch the dough as little as possible. Don’t get obsessive over this part (hi, this is me), but try to touch the dough as little as possible. Of course, you have to touch it to knead, cut, and shape the biscuits, but just keep in mind your hands are warm and you want the dough to stay as cool as possible, so cut out any extra contact when you can.
- Make sure the biscuits are touching when they bake. I thought this was total BS until I tried making a batch with the biscuits separated. Now, I’m a believer!
- No fancy schmancy biscuit cutters needed – we use the top of a floured pint glass, and it works just fine.
These vegan biscuits are a recent obsession of ours.
Rather than using non-dairy milk like a more traditional biscuit, we made these vegan biscuits with a thick broth made with our Chicken(less) Noodle Soup Powder (which you can make at home with this recipe or purchase a ready-made version from our Spice Shop) and some extra dried herbs that make these biscuits intensely awesome flavor bombs and oh so purrrrrfect for dunking in soups.
In fact, they’re kinda like a bowl of chicken(less) noodle soup, but in biscuit form…which is pretty awesome.
Hello, winter comfort food.
When you make these vegan biscuits, let us know, so we can oooooh and ahhhh at your delicious success!
Yield: 6 biscuits
20 minPrep Time:
15 minCook Time:
35 minTotal Time:
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp dried rosemary
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1/4 cup vegan butter, cubed and chilled in the freezer for 5-10 minutes
- 1 cup warm water + 1 heaping Tbsp Chicken(less) Noodle Soup Powder ( homemade or ready-made ), chilled in the fridge 10 minutes
- Preheat your oven to 450F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flours, baking powder, baking soda, and herbs.
- Use a pastry cutter or fork to cut in the vegan butter until a shaggy dough forms.
- Stir in chilled broth and mix until a sticky dough forms.
- Lightly flour a clean counter top and turn the dough onto it. Sprinkle with more flour and lightly knead until it just comes together.
- Form the dough into a 1-inch thick disc and use the top of a pint glass or biscuit cutter to cut 2 biscuits from the disc. Place them on a lined baking sheet, touching. Re-form the dough and repeat until all the dough is used; you should have 6 biscuits total.
- Use your finger to create a divot in each biscuit and fill it with a tsp of melted vegan butter. Sprinkle with a pinch of salt and herbs if desired.
- Bake at 450F for 10-15 minutes. Allow to cool a few minutes, and enjoy the hell outta 'em!
This recipe is heavily inspired by Minimalist Baker's Best Damn Vegan Biscuits .