Growing up in the suburbs of Philadelphia, I had no idea what a tater tot hotdish was until a few months ago…let alone a vegan tater tot hotdish.
According to Wikipedia, the hotdish has Midwestern roots and was originally created for church potlucks because it can feed a lot of people on a tight budget. Traditionally, it includes some kind of ground meat cooked with veggies and a can of creamy soup, often topped with frozen tater tots.
Meaty? Creamy? And tater tots? I dig it.
To me, the tater tot hotdish is kinda like a shepherd’s pie, but instead of a mashed tater topping, it’s tater tots.
You’re on board now, yes? Me too.
Vegan Tater Tot Hotdish Inspiration
For this vegan tater tot hotdish recipe, I used this vegetarian recipe by Lindsay at Pinch of Yum for inspiration. No better place to get hotdish inspiration than a true Minnesotan herself, right?
I really dig the spicy walnut beef we added to this vegan tater tot hotdish to replace the traditional ground beef. It’s an adaptation of our sausage-style walnut meat, and it’s just so damn good! I love the softened texture it achieves after cooking in that gorgeous roux for so long. It’s the perfect meaty addition to all those beautiful veggies!
I am so, very excited to share this vegan tater tot hotdish recipe with you all. Although I’ve never had the traditional version, I am soooo in love with this dish. It’s warm and cozy and filled with flavor, just begging to be shared with the people you love – which is awesome because when it comes down to it, making kickass food is so much more fun when you can share it. 🙂
You should totally make this recipe! And when you do, let us know how it goes and what you thought! Tag us in your photos on Instagram (we’re @theplantpowercouple, with the ‘the’). Hope you enjoy every minute of this recipe just like we have!
This Spicy Vegan Tater Tot Hotdish is a comfort classic made vegan and oh so delicious! Walnut meat and veggies all cooked up in a creamy, cheesy roux, topped with tater tots, and baked to perfection. The perfect comfort food dinner!
30 minPrep Time:
30 minCook Time:
1 hrTotal Time:
5 based on 1 review(s)
- 3 Tbsp refined coconut oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 medium green bell peppers, chopped
- 10 oz container of mushrooms, sliced
- 1 Tbsp cumin
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cup unsweetened plain soy milk
- 1 block vegan cheese (optional, cut into cubes)*
- 1/2 cup frozen peas and carrots
- 1/2 cup frozen corn
- 1/2 batch spicy beef-style walnut meat
- sea salt, to taste
- 1 32-oz bag frozen tater tots
- Preheat your oven to 375F.
- Heat the refined coconut oil over medium high heat in a large cast iron skillet . Add the onion, garlic, mushrooms, and peppers with a pinch of salt and saute for about 3-5 minutes until fragrant and soft. Add the cumin and chili powder and stir to thoroughly coat.
- Add the flour and stir again. Add the soy milk slowly, stirring continuously. Add the vegan cheese cubes and cover. Turn the heat to medium low and let it cook 5-7 minutes or until the cheese mostly melts.
- Stir in the walnut meat, peas, carrots, and corn. Taste and adjust your seasonings. You'll probably want to add a bit more salt.
- Turn the mixture off heat and top with frozen tater tots. Bake for 20-30 minutes until the tots are nice and browned and allow to cool 10 minutes before serving. Enjoy!
*We love Violife + Daiya - both make vegan cheese blocks that are awesome in this recipe! 1-2 cups of shredded vegan cheese will also work.