Well, hello there and happy Thanksgiving week! Yes, I realize it’s the Monday before Thanksgiving and you probably already have your menu planned, but these are so delicious and easy – I knew I needed to get it out there before the big day!
I’ve had this recipe on my mind for quite some time now – I mean, come on. Potatoes? Roasted garlic? Come to mama. – but it was a few of our favorite and totally awesome Periscope viewers who inspired me to develop those visions of garlic smashed taters dancing in my head and turn them into a delicious holiday reality. And friends, let me tell you: I’m SO glad they did!
I love these smashed taters. They’re creamy and comforting and filled with the delightfully powerful flavor of roasted garlic – and we allllll know how I feel about roasted garlic. 😉
So, go make these taters for your holiday gatherings, and let’s show our non-vegan families and friends just how deliciously spectacular vegan food is! And when you do, make sure you tag #plantpowercouple on social media, so we can celebrate with you!
Enjoy, friends. Happy holidays. And thank you – from the very bottom of my heart – for choosing to live vegan. ❤️
- 7-10 large cloves garlic
- 2 pounds red-skinned potatoes, diced
- 6 oz. Silken tofu
- 2Tbsp olive oil
- Juice from 1/2 a lemon
- 2 heaping Tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 2 Tbsp fresh thyme
- Get a large pot of water boiling and add the diced potatoes. Allow to boil for 10 minutes or until the potatoes are fork-tender.
- Meanwhile, preheat your oven to 350F, spray your garlic cloves with some olive oil, and roast them for about 7-10 minutes. When they are fragrant, they're ready!
- Add the 3 - 4 cloves of the roasted garlic, tofu, oil, lemon juice, nutritional yeast, salt, onion powder, and thyme to a small blender and blend until smooth.
- When the potatoes are done, strain them, add them back to the pot, and use a potato-smasher or the back end of a wooden spoon to smash the taters. Add the remainder of the roasted garlic and smash away.
- Add the cream sauce - a little at a time, stirring and mashing until potatoes reach your desired consistency and taste.
- Adjust seasonings as-needed, and enjoy!