I think we can all agree a good gravy can make or break an entire holiday dinner. I mean, you don’t want your glorious mound of mashed taters drizzled with thin flavorless tinted water, right? No way! You want something thick and creamy with a rich, robust flavor that wraps you in its loving arms and whispers, “Welcome home” into your ear.
Yes, friends. It may sound a little “out-there”, but this is the holiday gravy experience I desire which is why I am sharing my gravy solution to end all gravy solutions today with this recipe for Vegan Golden Gravy.
This Golden Gravy is BEGGGGING to be poured all over a giant plate of mashed potatoes, but that’s not its only use! This gravy is also killer on stuffing, seitan roasts, and all. the. veggies. You can pour it over biscuits for a comforting weekend breakfast or even seitan bangers and mash (there’s a great recipe for this dish on page 17 of our e-cookbook).
So, let’s get down to it. What exactly makes this gravy so spectacular and life-changing that I can write an entire passionate ode to it?
Surprisingly, this gravy is 100% oil-free whilst still somehow staying lusciously thick and creamy, thanks to a method I picked up from one of my favorite vegan food bloggers, Happy Herbivore. It’s also super easy to make completely gluten-free thanks to the magic of tapioca flour which is GREAT for that holiday situation when you have guests with different dietary needs. Of course, if you don’t have a need to avoid gluten, feel free to add all-purpose or whole wheat flour in its place.
So, not only is this Vegan Golden Gravy super-yum, but it’s also rather freakin’ healthy! That’s a win-win I can really get excited about!
We will definitely be making this Vegan Golden Gravy for our Thanksgiving feast. It’s always a major hit, so much so that for the past 2 years we’ve made it, someone has ended up pouring the last drops of it straight from the gravy boat into their mouth. Maybe that action would be reprehensible to some, but to me there is no better compliment.
Are you on board?
Let’s make Vegan Golden Gravy in under 50 seconds!
If you make this Vegan Golden Gravy for your holiday dinner (or any time), we wanna know what you think! Tag us in your cozy gravy photos on Instagram (we’re @theplantpowercouple, with the ‘the’) or Facebook (just Plant Power Couple there).
- 2 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- 2 Tbsp Chicken(less) Noodle Soup Powder or veggie bouillon powder of choice
- 1/4 cup whole wheat flour (or tapioca flour for gluten-free)
- 2 cups water or veg broth
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- Heat a medium sauce pan on low heat and whisk together your nutritional yeast, bouillon, and flour. Continue heating the mixture, whisking often, for 3 minutes.
- Next, slowly whisk in the water or veg broth until no clumps remain. Cover and bring this mixture to a boil.
- Remove the cover and turn the heat to low once more. Allow the gravy to simmer for 5-7 minutes or until it reaches your desired consistency. Make sure you are stirring the mixture often, scraping the bottom to avoid burning it.
- Finally, add the garlic powder and a pinch of salt and pepper. Stir, taste, and adjust seasonings as you see fit.
- Pour this gravy over smashed potates , stuffing , or your Thanksgiving seitan roast . Enjoy!