Coconut Bacon Pancakes: Where sweet meets savory and your breakfast world is forever changed.
I’m pretty excited to share this Coconut Bacon Pancake recipe with you today. It’s been a favorite of mine for over a year now and sitting in the drafts folder for almost 2. It’s time for it to see the light of day!
I’ve never been very good at making pancakes; that was always T’s thing. And when we went vegan, I know he had a really hard time finding a pancake recipe he really enjoyed. They were always too thin or too goopey in the middle. We felt kinda like Goldilocks for a while, trying to find the pancake recipe that was “just right”.
Enter this Coconut Bacon Pancake recipe…
The idea came to me on a hike one day. When you’re on a hiking trail and come up with an idea as exciting as Coconut Bacon Pancakes, you hurry your butt home fast! And I gotta say, this recipe was definitely worth it.
And if coconut bacon isn’t your thing, throw some frozen blueberries or chocolate chips in there instead. I’m not a huge fan of sweet breakfasts, so the mixture of savory and sweet in this dish is so perfect for me, especially when I’m eating with T who could probably eat 2 stacks of pancakes every day and be happy as can be about it. It’s a nice balance of both our tastes.
But one thing we’ve found with this recipe is that it is consistent AF. The batter always produces the perfect pancakes – fluffy but not too fluffy, hearty but not too hearty…you get the idea. That is a major first for me in the pancake department!
How to Freeze These Coconut Bacon Pancakes
These pancakes are great frozen for kickass breakfasts on lazy mornings. To freeze them, simply stack them in between parchment paper in zip lock bags and throw them in the toaster or oven for a few minutes to defrost.
So, if you’re looking for a killer weekend breakfast that’s the perfect balance of sweet and savory, give this recipe a try! And when you do, tag us in your beautiful photos on Instagram (we’re @theplantpowercouple, with the ‘the’) or Facebook (just Plant Power Couple there). Here’s to a happy pancake-filled morning! 😍
Serving Size: 2 pancakes
This is my favorite pancake recipe. It's the perfect blend of sweet and savory and a great weekend indulgence!
15 minPrep Time:
15 minCook Time:
30 minTotal Time:
- 1/2 batch Coconut Bacon
- 1.5 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 Tbsp oats
- 1 flax egg (1 Tbsp ground flax mixed with 2 Tbsp cold water. Let sit for 5 minutes.)
- 2 Tbsp melted coconut oil
- 1 Tbsp maple syrup
- 1 cup plain non-dairy milk
- Prepare your coconut bacon first. Allow it to cool. While you wait, make the flax egg and set it aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, add 1/2 cup of the cooled coconut bacon, the baking powder, flours, and oats. Whisk to combine.
- Create a hole in the center of this mixture and pour in your wet ingredients: the flax egg, coconut oil, maple syrup, and non-dairy milk. Stir to until just combined.
- Add a thin layer of coconut oil to a large pan and heat it on medium heat. Take 1/4 cup of the mixture, and pour it onto the pan. Sprinkle more coconut bacon on top.
- Cook for 2-3 minutes or until the bottom of the pancake starts to firm up. Then, carefully flip your pancake. Cook for another 1-2 minutes.
- Stack these babies on a plate, top them with more coconut bacon, vegan butter, and some maple syrup. These are the perfect weekend indulgence. Enjoy!
Feel free to sub frozen blueberries or chocolate chips for the coconut bacon if that's more your thing!
This recipe is adapted from this one from the awesome Minimalist Baker .