Hi, I’m Brittany, and I don’t like onions…unless they’re fried onions, or in this case air-fried onions!
Yep, that’s right: Your favorite holiday topping can now be made (pretty) healthy with the help of our new favorite kitchen gadget.
Air-fried onions. Yea, you’re gonna like this one.
Do you have an air fryer yet?!?! We got ours as a gift from a good friend and have been looooving it! Air fried tofu, taquitos, french fries, croutons, ravioli!
Basically, whatever you would like to eat deep-fried can just as easily be made in the air-fryer with all the deliciousness but muuuuch less oil…or no oil at all, whatever your fancy!
And now, we’re adding air-fried onions to that list.
For those of you who don’t know, french fried onions are those crispy little curls of deliciousness that typically top green bean casseroles and the like on your holiday table. Now you know what I’m talking about, don’t you? They’re the best.
But unfortunately, like most deep-fried things, they are addictive yet pretty heavy on the tummy. They are for me at least. So, when T made a quick version in the air fryer a few months ago with all the taste but none of that heavy bloated feeling, I knew we had to perfect this for the blog!
And the recipe we’re sharing with you guys today is pretty killer: easy to make, delicious, and rather healthy compared to their oil-laden counterparts. Win-win-win!!
You can take these air-fried onions beyond green bean casseroles, of course. We’ve used them to top salads, chili, soups, and even pizza! Let your creativity run wild; everything tastes better with these crispy swirls of yumminess on top!
If you make this recipe, let us know how it goes and what you do with them! I’m super pumped to hear your ideas! Tag us in your beautiful photos on Instagram (we’re @theplantpowercouple, with the ‘the’) or Facebook (just Plant Power Couple there).
5 based on 1 review(s)
- 1 large yellow onion, thinly sliced
- enough unsweetened plain soy or almond milk to cover
- 2 c all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- Add onions to a shallow dish or bowl and pour the soy milk over them until they are just covered. Let soak for 5 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, add the flour, sea salt, and black pepper. Whisk until combined.
- Remove the onions from the almond milk and toss them with the flour mixture, one small batch at a time.
- Lightly spray the air-fryer basket and the flour-coated onions with oil. Add the onions to the basket and place in the air fryer.
- Cook the onions at 350F for 30-35 minutes, stopping to shake the basket every 10 minutes.
- Remove the onions from the air fryer and let cool before eating. Use them to top all your holiday dishes like mashed potatoes, green bean casserole, and basically your entire life!